Author Topic: Fluff on rooster backs  (Read 2154 times)

Dawnalysce Clifford

Fluff on rooster backs
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:35:44 AM »
I hatched about 70 standard sized Silver and Silver x Black Ameraucanas this spring.  The oldest are now 6 mos.  Two roos out of that hatch have odd fluffy feathers sticking out on both sides of their backs, just over their hips where the saddle starts.  Anyone know if this is a temporary growing thing or is it some fault I should cull? It's something new for me.  I kind of like the first roo in the pix and don't want to cull him.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:44:25 AM by Dawnalysce Clifford »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Fluff on rooster backs
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
The Standard is silent on this, but it is not attractive.   I use a "double fault" system.   By that I mean if there is one thing not right, I can live with that as long as I can do a compensation mating.   Two problems is an automatic cull unless it is the start of a major project.  That said, I might consider saving the first cockerel, but the second one also has excessive white speckling on his front.   Off to freezer camp with him in my book. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Dawnalysce Clifford

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Have you seen this before?  It's something new to me.  Might they grow out of it?  I certainly don't think it's attractive either and I don't want to breed a bunch of birds with fluff sticking up.  Unfortunately, besides the fluff, this roo is one of my nicest.  The one with the white on the breast is def not a keeper!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 03:35:03 PM »
Yes, I have seen it before.  It shows up more in some colors than others.  I would say it is borderline common. 
Mike Gilbert

Dawnalysce Clifford

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
Thanks again Mike!  Sounds like the fluff doesn't go away?  I will grow them out a little more.  If the feathers don't lie flat within a couple months when the saddle has grown out, then I'll know what to do with the birds.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
I doubt it will go away, but you might want to consider the double fault method I outlined above.   Unless, of course, you have a couple of better roosters to use as breeders. 
Mike Gilbert

Dawnalysce Clifford

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:10:50 AM »
Mike, one of them is my third nicest roo, the other two have several faults, including one with too aggressive a nature.  I think I'll keep the nicest and use him sparingly, so hopefully I don't end up with a bunch of fluff-tuft roos next year!  Thanks again.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 05:23:18 AM »
Just a side note but when I was raising Silvers it seemed there was more concerning issues. For me size, type and temperament was the big ones. Once I had those then came the color issues like shafting in the females, white in males chest etc. I have seen pictures of your birds and they look as good as I have seen. I guess I am just trying to say I wouldn't necassarily cull for a little fluff if they excelled in the fore mentioned. I have yet to see a perfect chicken, they all have flaws.
S.E. Michigan

Dawnalysce Clifford

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 08:49:53 AM »
Thanks Russ and Mike for your kind replies.  I have decided to use one of the fluff hip ones because he's pretty good otherwise.  Just hope the hens will add something because the fluff hip look is ugly to me.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
I kind of like the first roo in the pix and don't want to cull him.  Thanks!
Fred Jeffries of the "Bantams Chickens" book has a line in his book I've memorized:  Your flock will have the defects (diseases) you allow.  It's unfortunately all too true.