Author Topic: History Question About DQ's in the Standard  (Read 687 times)

Steve Neumann

• Associate
History Question About DQ's in the Standard
« on: February 23, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »
This has come up a few times in various discussions, and I was hoping that maybe the breed founders could shed some light on the rationale for the DQ's in the standard so I can understand the history for my own personal knowledge.  Sometimes notably absent from history is the "why" of things.   I am curious what was the rationale for making clean face and yellow skin the two standard DQ's in the standard?  Were these problems that were heavily encountered frequently in the early days of the breed?  Were they aspects that you wanted to set apart from Araucanas?  Were they aspects that you felt critical to the breed identity and necessary to keep out of the show?  I am just curious if you guys can shed some light on the decision-making process that led up to the final selection of these two DQ's, the people involved, and if any other faults were considered and ultimately rejected. 

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: History Question About DQ's in the Standard
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »
That was a long time ago Steve, and the memory fades.   The two D.Q.'s that I see in my standard is the presence of "ear tuffs" (sic) and clean faces.   The English Standard allowed for both muffs and ear tufts in the same bird, in fact I have seen many photos of birds in the U.K. that do.   So we wanted to make double sure the lethal gene was not allowed here.   From the beginning there were a lot of clean faced breeds used to create Ameraucanas, so a lot of heterozygosity was present in many of the original birds.   The object, of course, was homozygosity in the finished product.   As you know from reading the history, we were the object of some ridicule in the early years, so we didn't want a whole lot of variation when it came to the various traits, including skin color.   We felt that uniformity was necessary to gain some respect, because a lot of mutts had been entered in shows before the Standard became a reality.   Feel free to share.   Maybe Jerry or John or someone else can add to what was said here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:44:46 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: History Question About DQ's in the Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:11:26 PM »
Since both Araucanas and Ameraucanas laid blue eggs, had similar sounding names and common Easter Egger origins I believe they were trying to put as much emphasis on the differences as they could.  Remember the original ABA Araucanas could have tails and be clean-faced (no tufts or muffs).  Some fanciers that don't breed Araucanas or Ameraucanas still don't know the difference between a tuft and muff.
Note how many times Don Cable mentions muffs/beards & tails in the HISTORY starting on page 4 of our 1st Handbook.
Also in our 1st Bulletin on pages 3 & 4 "Requirements" and Election Results are given.  Disqualifying Features include rumplessness...etc., but I think clean-faced wasn't mentioned or even voted on since the charter members were all on the same page when it came to requiring muffs/beards & tails.  According to the election results the most division was over the breed name and ear lobe color.