Author Topic: Black gold  (Read 11288 times)

Holly Frosch

Re: Black gold
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »
Our hands are pretty full with the brown reds, but the black golds do sound interesting. I'd say take heart! Don't give up! But ... I understand that it is a lot of work. Lol.

Do we have something along these lines in this pullet (she's from this year's March hatch)? Lighter than our brown reds, she's pretty striking - would like to see a black beard, though.

One of our 'oopses', her mom's out of brown reds and I believe dad's a blue birchen (Andalusian in his background - pea comb, but beardless with white earlobes). Here's her brother:

No plans on using these guys, just curious.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
These photos are of a couple pullets that were close to black gold 10 years ago.  I had one that was very nice, but died.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
All the above birds appear to be black golds.   Black gold is just the gold version of Silver Sussex coloring, and there will always be some variability in its' expression.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
They are pretty but the way the APA has gone because of its own mistakes, none of that is going to happen anytime soon.  What a shame.  A pity that there is isn't another poultry standards body.