Author Topic: Americans Turn to Raising Chickens to Offset Egg Shortages (re: COVID-9)  (Read 576 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Bud Wood is quoted in this story.  I don't like the fact that his hatchery still advertises easter egger chickens as Ameraucanas, but he is a nice fellow and Mike Gilbert and I have toured his hatchery and had a couple opportunities to talk to him. 
For the complete article click on this Newsmax link.

Americans Turn to Raising Chickens to Offset Egg Shortages
Wednesday, April 1, 2020 03:05 PM

By: Lynn Allison

With fresh eggs in short supply at supermarkets, Americans are hatching their own plans.
Chicken hatcheries across the nation report a spike in orders not only for egg-laying hens but also for broilers — chickens that have been bred and raised for meat — according to The Washington Post.
“This has to do with the perceived hoarding that is going on,” said Bud Wood, president and owner of McMurray’s Hatchery, a century-old establishment in Iowa. “People are afraid they won’t be able to buy eggs and chickens in the grocery store, and they don’t want to have to go to the store and possibly be infected.”
According to the Post, egg prices have skyrocketed with wholesale eggs prices tripling since the pandemic panic began three weeks ago. Grocery stores are imposing limits on eggs...Watt encourages the investment in backyard chickens and has given her neighbors eggs to tide them over during this crisis.
“I think everyone should have chickens,” she told the Post. “Chickens are way better than dogs.”

© 2020 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Yes, I had seen this story.  I shared it with others on my Facebook page.   Who knew this pandemic would create a desire to keep chickens? 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13