Author Topic: Newby going to a club meet!!  (Read 2218 times)

Janie Vogt

Newby going to a club meet!!
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm going to the Spring Fling meet in Missoula this coming weekend.  I have never really had a mentor so even though I have been to poultry shows before, it was never as important as it is this time because I am representing the Ameraucana Alliance.  My loyalty gene is over active for the most part so I am hoping I won't do anything too stupid.  If I do, I'll try not to let anyone know of my affiliation!  I have an awful time choosing birds even with my Standard of Perfection in hand and a lot of staring.  If anyone has any suggestions for me I am all ears.  I am taking two black hens, two silvers and one lavender (because I like them).  I know something of fitting a bird for show but could always use more advice.   I am hoping to promote the Alliance so wish me luck.

Janie

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Newby going to a club meet!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
Hi Janie,

I wouldn't worry too much about representation only because most people know less than me, and I am nowhere an expert..  As for the birds and the SoP, the best thing about meets are that you will meet people who know more than you about that, and they will  help you with things you don't see.  A lot of people who don't belong to breed clubs can help you tremendously only because they've been around so long and then point you in the right direction; the same with people who approach you.  If they are coming to you then they have nowhere else to go and you become their "expert" and what little you know is their basis and when they ask something you don't know you travel up and meet someone who can help you both.     People are generally more helpful and magnanimous in person or even telephone, than they would be on line.

All the best.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:16:45 PM by BrownEyes »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Relax and have fun is my motto, even though I am always running Round right before the show performing final touches before the judging begins 😃. Take your best and do your best and that's all you can do. Remember at the end of the day it's not what the SOP says but what the judge prefers and sees. I love going to shows to see other birds and talk chicken. Also helps me eye up my stock to everyone else's.  I still get to critical and judge mental about my birds and start thinking I am going backwards at times, until I get to the show and think man I should of brought this and that lol.
S.E. Michigan

Janie Vogt

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 11:06:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I wish you were both going to be at the show though.  I wish I had more time for finishing touches this time, but I have been trying to get things ready to have some eye surgery on Monday.  I guess the best advice is to bring your best and try your best so that's what I will do.

Thanks again,

Janie

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »
You got it with that last comment, Janie.  You're already representing the AA well by taking your best birds and letting folks see them and know about the AA.

I will answer one of your questions and give one piece of advice on choosing the best overall bird.  If you have showcages or something similar where you can line them up side-by-side, that's a plus.  If'n ya can get them up to eye level, that's even better.  Take a pen & paper with ya.  Start at the head and move down and back.  Make notes of each detail.  For example, compare the combs, eye color, beak, topline, frontline, bottomline, legs (color and thickness), feet, toes, etc.  Don't forget to look at overall Type.  Then you can go to Color and do the same thing for each body part.  Finally, take your SOP, start at 100pts and deduct points as you compare each trait and see what you wind up with.  Doing this will also help you with your final prep and fitting of the bird.  It's a BIG bummer when you take an otherwise outstanding bird to a show and it gets DQ'd because the judge finds one small little feather between its toes.  And then the judge pours salt in the wound by saying, "I really wanted to give that bird BB and Reserve Continental but I had to DQ it for the stub."

How about Temperament?  Personally, if'n a specific bird was slightly less in overall points than a really flighty bird but is mild-mannered and easy in the hand, I'd pick it.

As for washing and prepping the birds, it sounds like you got that down but don't be shy about asking if ya gotta question.

Oh yeah, one other piece of advice.... GET SOME WHEATENS & BLUE WHEATENS!!   ;D

Most of all, BEST WISHES at the show!!!!  Knock 'em dead!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:56:17 AM by Tailfeathers »
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)