Author Topic: Mailing birds  (Read 3099 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Mailing birds
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:47 PM »
Thanks John for the link.  But I could not find on the RIBBS site the list of acceptable container providers that the publication refers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:20:03 PM by John W Blehm »

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Re: Mailable Live Animals, USPS link
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
The RIBBS site only refers to shipping boxes for adult birds.  I don't see a list there either, but didn't take much time to look.  I know Horizon Micro-Environments, LLC, out of GA, sells them and have always bought from them. 
They have been a good company to deal with and even though I don't use a lot of them, the last time I ordered I bought 60 single shipping boxes to get the best price.  That was a few years ago and I still have plenty.  I've even sold several to folks in the area that want to ship birds and are referred to me by postal employees, fanciers and employees at a feed store.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:59:18 PM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
Thanks John for the reference.  I am glad it was not just me who could not find the link.

Cathy Soldan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
Hi All
I just got some boxes from "Jordan Farm Products" out of Cario, GA for chicks.  They are a one piece box with an insert and the price is much better than anything else I have found.  The box weighs just over 8 ounces.
They are very sturdy.

Cathy   :)
Retired & loving it with my peeps!

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi All
I just got some boxes from "Jordan Farm Products" out of Cario, GA for chicks.  They are a one piece box with an insert and the price is much better than anything else I have found.  The box weighs just over 8 ounces.
They are very sturdy.

Cathy   :)

Cathy,

I just checked them out and I used some of those boxes this year, but not from that company.  They seem very pricy to me.  The boxes aren't as sturdy as most, but they worked well for shipping when it was very cold and for bantams.  I didn't use the pads that came with them, because I think the chicks would slide all over on the surface of them.

Cutler Supply has a more traditional 25 count chick box and much cheaper.  The pads are sold separately.

If any member is in need of 50 count chick boxes, I'll sell them in quantities of 10 for $40 plus shipping.   I have more than I'll ever use and bought them from a hatchery that went out of business.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:50:12 PM by John W Blehm »

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
I dont know if most knows this but, FedEx only fly's out live animals for the US Postal service Mon-Thru. They will reject the package if its dropped off Friday or Saturday.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Mailing birds
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
I shipped some adult birds recently.  With two birds going to the same place I join two single boxes together to make one package and to cut down on the shipping costs.  In the past I just taped the boxes together, but now I also used my jackknife to cut slits thru the boxes where they butt up to each other and used some cable ties (aka zip ties) to really make sure they stuck together.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Mailing birds
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
Hi John,  I've heard of that and am really surprised that the USPS lets that get through but it is definitely good that it does.
As for the 50 cartons you have for chicks, couldn't you fill it will something so you could use it for a lesser amount like 20?

Thanks