Author Topic: Dead before hatch  (Read 1212 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Dead before hatch
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:50:38 PM »
I am having this problem only with AMs...the chick dies in shell around day 18.  Ideas?

thanks Sue

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Dead before hatch
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »
This link might be helpful.    Are you disinfecting the eggs prior to incubation?   If the eggshells are porous, it allows microbes to enter the embryo and kill it.   https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res24-00.html       
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:27:03 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »
More info would help, like how many different Ameraucana varieties and how many different other breeds were incubated at the same time?  Were all the eggs from your own hens, being on the same feed, lighting, etc?  Were they pair matings or flocks?

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
thanks Mike that maybe it -- that the new disinfectant I went to because I could not get Tektrol is doing a poor job.   I guess I will get some of that Manna Egg Cleaner as a replacement  Didn't think of that one.

Good catch, Sue.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
In response to John, about 3 other varieties that did hatch were in the incubator including bantam Ams.  Only LF Ameraucanas are having the problem, so perhaps they are just more sensitive?    I use only one male at a time so I can make sure he has the goods and can watch their outcomes after having one brown red that was so dominant no one else got a chance.

thanks Sue

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:29 PM »
Hopefully you got it lined out Sue
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 06:10:53 PM »
Sorry for the late response...Mike's list hit a few errors.  As I said the major was the disinfectant change.  The next was it seems that the eggs I found were older than I thought because  these girls play hide and seek with their laying.  I've tried the fake out with the wooden eggs they do not fall for that.  Next after finding a spot I went back there but typically they find another...so now they have a "known" spot that I leave a few hard boiled fakes in and we seem to be fine.  Frankly, I think they are nothing but trouble.  Thanks for the help, Sue.