Author Topic: Individual breeding pens  (Read 1504 times)

Justin Snyder

Individual breeding pens
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
I stole this photo from John Blehm's post, thanks John. This is what I want to build for next spring but I have limited space. What are the minimum dimensions for each hole/box. I built some a little larger last year but they have been repurposed for grow outs.
Thanks

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Individual breeding pens
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
That was used to house individual LF males during the breeding season.  They would visit females a couple times a week and spend the rest of the time in these.  The 2 by 4 lumber is 1.5" x 3.5" and the welded wire on the front is 1" x 2", so the dimensions can be figured from that.  For LF breeding coops to hold 2 birds and have room for breeding I would suggest a minimum of 24 " deep by 32" wide and at least 20" high.

Here are some more topics showing more photos of indoor coops.
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=1195.msg7953#msg7953
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=1120.msg7643#msg7643
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=121.msg793#msg793

Justin Snyder

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:44:03 PM »
Thanks John.
That second link is the one I stole the picture from  ;D I just couldn't see the height anywhere. I asked on Facebook and people were telling me 39" tall inside and I knew that was way overkill for what you were doing and what I am planning. I think I will go 24 high just because I can use a piece of OSB on the back and fit 2 high.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
That’s what I did Justin, 6’ high 8’ long and 2’ deep with two levels at 2’ tall. It helps elevate them so you don’t bend over as far and uses 8’ lumber nicely with little to no waste when done right. You can make 3 holes per level that will be 2’tall 2’deep and 32” long. It’s not big enough to house two LF all the time but using John’s rotating method (with the cock) it works perfectly. I also use them for conditioning after breeding season is over.
S.E. Michigan

Justin Snyder

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 07:32:54 PM »
Thanks Russ,
Last time I did it 4 feet deep and dividers that could be taken out so it could have 4 holes 2 feet wide or 1 hole 8 feet wide or anything between. Getting eggs out of the back sucks especially in the lower level! That is why I repurposed it to a grow out pen. 2 deep and 32 wide will be a lot better.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
After selling off more coops than I should have, I've made a couple 6 hole units to house cockerels/cocks used for breeding.  The boys stay in these compartments most days and most of them get out and visit pullets/hens twice a week, spending the night with them.  Bob Rennolet gave me some perforated sheets of plastic to build chicken transporting coops and I used the left over pieces to make these coops.  They are fastened with cable/zip ties.  The wood pan they rest in has wood shavings in it and the entire plastic unit puts up out of the pan.

Justin Snyder

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 01:07:52 PM »
I ended up going lazy. I bought this garbage can shed and 6 pet crates. I only have two in right now but can fit 3 wide and 2 high. The individual pens are 36X23X25h so I will use them for breeding pairs or trios also. I also plan to use them as conditioning pens since I can keep them out of the sun completely. I close it up at night so the roosters don't bother the neighbors so much.  :-X