Author Topic: Vaccination schedules for chickens  (Read 1180 times)

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
Vaccination schedules for chickens
« on: October 19, 2020, 07:56:29 PM »
I am seriously considering a vaccination protocol on my property for all birds. I do not want to vaccinate for mareks, i would rather breed for resistance to these diseases that affect our flocks.
Is that really an obtainable goal? Our state vet says no. That mareks in the first on the list with mycoplasmas and respiratory diseases next.
What would you do? What would you vaccinate for and why wouldn't you vaccinate?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Vaccination schedules for chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »
With regard to Marek's vaccination, I think it depends on where you are in the breeding programs and how many extra birds you are willing to keep "just in case."   I keep small matings of each variety (12 this year), so I vaccinate chicks as they are hatched right out of the incubator.   The later chicks hatched under hens, I don't bother to vaccinate because they have already been potentially exposed by the setting hen, but that is a small minority.   I have been vaccinating for Laryngo just because it is such a deadly disease, and there is no way to breed for immunity to it.  And then I vaccinate for Newcastle/Bronchitis just as an "abundance of caution."   All these vaccines are relatively inexpensive and easy to administer.   Mycoplasma vaccine is expensive, and I chose to breed for resistance.   It does not seem to be a killer unless it is combined with some other disease such as Coryza, Bronchitis, etc.   And that seems to be working for me, as I can't remember the last time I lost a bird to Mycoplasma Gallisepticum alone. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Janie Vila

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »
Thanks Mike!
 Since the vaccines come in 1000 dose vials, how do you "store" them to use over a season? We have had CRAZY weather here in Virginia.  Especially with all the rain. Everyone around in our area it seems talks about their birds "getting the sniffles". If i am showing birds i want to make sure i am not bringing anything to or from the shows with our birds. I really do appreciate your thougts and input.

Janie

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 10:47:35 PM »
Do a search on here for "resistance" and you'll find several topics with some posts to consider.  Here is a link to one with many replies.
I used to vaccinate for (against) ILT annually along with a few other diseases, but now I just try to breed for resistance and use Tylan, as needed on the most valuable birds needed as breeders.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:49:34 PM by John W Blehm »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 07:34:38 AM »
Thanks Mike!
 Since the vaccines come in 1000 dose vials, how do you "store" them to use over a season? We have had CRAZY weather here in Virginia.  Especially with all the rain. Everyone around in our area it seems talks about their birds "getting the sniffles". If i am showing birds i want to make sure i am not bringing anything to or from the shows with our birds. I really do appreciate your thougts and input.  Janie

Vaccines need to be refrigerated.   The Marek's wafer can be split into 4 or even more doses if needed to save on the cost.   Some vaccines can not be kept after they are opened, so leftover product goes into my burning bin.   Another way to save money is to schedule larger and fewer hatches as opposed to hatching smaller hatches every week during the season.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13