Author Topic: Book Report  (Read 674 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Book Report
« on: April 08, 2021, 04:54:49 PM »
"The Ameraucana Book" manuscript has been delivered to the local company that will format, print, and bind it. I expect to print only about 100 copies of the first edition. If many errors are found by readers, there may possibly be a 2nd, expanded edition next year. But no promises. There will be my background history info, breed development history, opinion section, a genetics section, a section dealing with all the recognized varieties, a recognition and awards section, a "Just for Fun" section, Final Thoughts, and an epilogue. Oh, a prologue and introduction too. And a lot of color photos - except the six 1983 photos are b&w.  A few of you have already seen a first draft of the prologue. I won't have a price estimate until the formatting is completed. Although I dreaded starting this project, it became enjoyable as time went by and progress made. Hopefully readers will enjoy it as much as I did writing it. Or at least not be too disappointed. Best case scenario, it will be ready to ship in a month or two. I expect to bring some copies to our national meet this October.  Right now it looks like flat-rate shipping would run about $8.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:34:49 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Book Report
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:13:20 PM »
What a big project to take on.  You finished it much sooner than I originally expected.   8)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »
What a big project to take on.  You finished it much sooner than I originally expected.   8)

It's probably not as voluminous as you expected.   I tend to be brief.  I will accept suggestions for a 2nd edition if it is needed.   I would work on that in 2022 if possible.  There is still a lot of history that was omitted in this one because it is pretty well covered in Richard Orr's piece, in other books, and in the Handbook history piece.  But I could expand on it. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:30:50 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Mindy Waters

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 01:11:46 AM »
This is very exciting!

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 05:38:44 PM »
This is great
S.E. Michigan

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
I am really looking forward to your book on Ameraucanas. Thank you Mike!