Author Topic: Ameraucana Leg Bands  (Read 1653 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Ameraucana Leg Bands
« on: November 17, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
For easy identification of chickens I generally use colored spiral leg bands on adult birds.  Sometimes I use the numbered bandettes and E-Z Ring Numbered Lock Bands. 
The leg band sizes that seem to fit my Ameraucana chickens best are...
Bantam hens size 6 or 7.
Bantam cocks size 8 or 9.
Large fowl hens size 10 or 11
Large fowl cocks size 12.

Cory Eckert

Re: Ameraucana Leg Bands
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
Great info thanks John.

Have you ever used the zip tie bands like these?

https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/numbered-zip-tie-poultry-bands

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:03 AM »
I have used them on mature birds . . . especially peafowl. I do not like to use them on growing birds.

Janet Tipton

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »
Great info thanks John.

Have you ever used the zip tie bands like these?

https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/numbered-zip-tie-poultry-bands

Cory I have used the numbered zip tie ones for birds when I put them in show cages and have found that the numbers run off fairly quickly.

Cory Eckert

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
Cory I have used the numbered zip tie ones for birds when I put them in show cages and have found that the numbers run off fairly quickly.

Ugh, that would stink. I'll try a few of these on already marked birds and see how they fair over the summer this year.

Megan Knowlan

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »
How do you determine what leg band size to use? John you mentioned #10-12 for your LF but I've read somewhere else someone uses #9-10 for their LF. Should I just buy multiple sizes or is there a way to actually measure what size I need for mine? I'm currently using the numbered zip ties but want to switch to bandettes.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
From my experience the #10 or #11 size works for large fowl hens and if other fanciers say #9 or #10 fits their hens, maybe buy a small quantity of #10s to try.  Shank sizes may vary a little between varieties and different strains.  We don't want the bandettes too big and sloppy, but a little too big is better than a bit too tight.

Justin Snyder

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »
I was using the spiral until this year. I have had a few twist off but no real issues. When I saw this picture and learned it was from a spiral band I decided to start looking at other options.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:12:14 PM »
I was using the spiral until this year. I have had a few twist off but no real issues. When I saw this picture and learned it was from a spiral band I decided to start looking at other options.

By what I can see in the photo I would put the blame on the person that put a band that was too small on a bird that that was still growing.