Author Topic: Proposed APA updated Ameraucana standard  (Read 1079 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Proposed APA updated Ameraucana standard
« on: December 18, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
The attached document is the proposed updated APA description for Ameraucanas to be included in their next printing of the SOP.  I received this today and they would like comments/suggestions as soon as possible.  I’ve already told Mike Gilbert I’m in agreement with whatever he proposes, but all our members should have the chance to comment.  Please email me with your comments/suggestions.  I'll share them with our board of directors then after board approval I’ll forward our consensus/recommendations, not all comments, to the Standard Committee.

Update 12/20/2020...I've deleted the attachment and comments have been submitted to the APA.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:24:50 AM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Proposed APA updated Ameraucana standard
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »
I guess the APA will present these changes to the ABC for their agreement?

Merry Christmas Sue

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
Sue, I am communicating directly with Bart Pals.   I have communicated with Paul Smith of the ABC.   There is not a whole lot in the proposed changes I'm opposed to, except for a few terms in the proposals that could lead to breeding to extremes, like "Broad," "Full," "Deep."   Everything in Ameraucanas should be in moderation - no extremes.    And then I understand our breeders of the Silver variety don't want a "Silvery White" description for the male saddle feathers.  They want some black striping in the saddle.   As a Silver bantam breeder now (again) I tend to agree with them.    Do you see anything else that seems concerning to you?   Anybody?   The comments period ends December 31st. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 10:47:21 AM »
I guess the APA will present these changes to the ABC for their agreement?

Merry Christmas Sue

That would be the proper procedure, as long as they are stilll a member of the APA.  Although some of our members are members in both breed clubs or Ameraucana Alliance has no interrelationship or tie-in with the new ABC.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
Thanks John & Mike for that clarification.  I do know we have members, and directors, who are members of both groups, but that does not mean they feel an obligation to communicate the changes between the two groups, but since Mike has told Paul that would assuage that concern. I notice that the discussion on the tail seems to have divided with the female now at 40 degree and the male at 45.  I thought that was going to be the same.

Speaking of silvers, males are bright red but females pale red.  I don't understand that change. It works for the solids but on the Silver and Self Blue I don't agree.  I agree with black stripes in the Silver feathers, Attachment #6 over the "silvery white."

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:15:17 AM »
There are several items in the proposed standard that raised an eyebrow for me. Do you prefer a marked up pdf?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
Anything works.   The Standard Committee was scheduled to meet last night, but had to put it off until later this week.   So please hurry, as the comment period ends December 31st.   Email works best for me, as I check it often.
Mike Gilbert

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »
Mike, I have a couple of suggestions for the description of the Blue Ameraucana. I am at work and want to review my SOP first. I will email you this evening.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
Mike, I have a couple of suggestions for the description of the Blue Ameraucana. I am at work and want to review my SOP first. I will email you this evening.

Max, I have received nothing from either you or Michael.   My email is Chantecler7@gmail.com  .
Mike Gilbert

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »
Sorry, I just sent it.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »
Sorry, I just sent it.

Thanks Max.   Received and forwarded to Bart Pals and John Blehm.     
Mike Gilbert