Author Topic: Pen Floor Suggestions  (Read 856 times)

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
Pen Floor Suggestions
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
I am in the process of building breeding pens in my barn loft. I've decided to get smart and make pens in the loft instead of outside. I'm already enjoying immensely the pens I've built on the bottom level on those cold, windy, rainy, sleeting, snowing Missouri days.

It is an old barn and I feel like I should line the plank flooring with something. It of course has knots that have popped out and planks that are loose and cracked after being there for 100 years or so. I've considered several materials, but I'm interested in hearing from my fellow Ameraucana Alliance members. I feel like I should protect the orginal planks some how.

Any thoughts or ideas?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Pen Floor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Personally I would go fairly cheap for an area that won't have a lot of traffic and is out of the weather.  I'd first secure the planks a bit with decking screws and then cover the loft floor with 4' by 8' sheets of 7/16" OSB, fastened with drywall screws.  This should provide a safer, leveler surface to walk and dance on. 

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
Why do you feel you need to line the planks?  Why not

a) rent a floor sander and varnish them?
b)  do nothing and put hay on them?

Sue
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:42:22 PM by Suki »

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
I hadn't considers sanding and varnishing. I will think on that. Some of the oak planking is warped and cracked from time. I was thinking of protecting it from the wear and tear of being exposed to the chickens, dampness from water that might spill, and repeated cleaning.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »
Whatever material you decide to cover your floors with, I would think it needs to be something that resists water absorption so it does not remain damp after cleaning.   You might want to give it a coat of something that seals up the pores and cracks in and between the material.  That will also mean less places for mites to hide out.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13