Author Topic: Great feed price 😃😃😃  (Read 2887 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Great feed price 😃😃😃
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »
I just returned from my local feed mill. I had my custom blend 20% layer ration milled for breeding season. They have a minimum of 1000lb to custom mill feed. Which after they add the 50lbs of calcium comes out to 21 bags of feed. I was shocked to see it only cost me $189 😳. That comes out to only $9 a 50lb bag. Has anybody else noticed cheaper feed bills as well? I almost told him to mill me another 1000lbs. Unfortunately I try to use it up quickly so it doesn't lose to much nutritional value. Which brings me to my second question. Is anybody familiar with how long feed can be stored before it starts diminishing nutritional value? I always try to use it up with in a month or two. But if it lasts longer I may want to take advantage of these low prices.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Great feed price 😃😃😃
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
Great price!   I am paying $14.15 per 50 lb bag for 19% Prince Gamebird Layena pellets.   I like the pellets because there is less waste.   Do you get good hatchability on that ration?    If so, what else goes into it?    I have no idea how long it keeps the nutritional value, but if the bags are sealed tight I would not be afraid of going 3 months.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 02:56:46 PM »
Mike they figured it up for me 4 years ago. At that time I was experiencing substandard hatch rates. I was only feeding a 16% layer ration, on the other forum I learned most people raised protein level during breeding. That's when I had them figure out a 20% layer blend for me. They do not mill a "breeder" ration. So I am not sure how it would differ from a layer ration? Possibly there may be a difference in Vitamin content between a breeder/layer feed? Which I add vitamin supplements to the drinking water twice a week during breeding season anyway. I have noticed an improvement in my hatch rate since I started feeding this. Now with the new Dickey I have noticed even greater success. Last year I was getting around a 80%-85% hatch rate. After I eliminated a few cockerels that had fertility issues in a couple varieties. I believe they upped the protein with soy and animal products? I will ask next time I am there. I even use this feed during grow out periods as well. It's just easier for me when doing chores to have 1 feed to haul out instead of a couple. Oh $6 of this cost is for putting it in pellet form as well. I agree you have less waste with pellets.
S.E. Michigan

Gina Neta

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »
I am very interested in the 'recipie' too Russ. Great idea to have it Pelletized too!  Please share the specifics if you are able. 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
I think I've read feed should be fed within 3 to 4 months, but this Nutrena site that says 6 months...

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/knowledge-center/poultry/poultry-feed-frequently-asked-questions/index.jsp
What is the shelf life of your poultry feeds?

When stored properly in dry, moderate temperature conditions, feed can be stored for up to 6 months.  Always inspect feed prior to use for bugs, mold, or other evidence of damage.

I feed my breeders Kalmbach Feeds Game Bird Breeder w/Primalac (a probiotic).  It is an 18% protein mini pellet.  Amino acids (Lysine, etc.) in the feed mean less overall protein is needed because they make it more effective.  In the old days higher protein meant more than today.  Kalmbach Feeds assured me that their game bird feeds had all the contents needed for chickens even though the tags/labels on the bags don't name them.  They just aren't listed because the law doesn't require them to be on game bird feed...only chicken feed...different regulations.

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
I've been lucky two friends told me about a private mill and I only pay $18 + a few pennies for 100# of 22% breeder pellets with alfalfa meal in it.  They both have Orpingtons and works well on both breeds.  Cut my cost in half from what I was paying.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 03:23:45 AM »
I buy enough #40 Purina Layena at $12/bag when it's on sale to last until the next one.  It's normally $15/bag.  I also mix in Purina Flock Raiser (I have ducks & geese too) at $20/#50 bag.  It's hardly ever on sale.  And I have been adding about 10% VigorPlus (high vitamin supplement) but it's been discontinued so I got enough to last about another 6mos or so and then I'm out. 

Russ, have you compared the ingredients and %% of vitamins/etc. to a commercial feed such as Purina?  I'd be interested in hearing how they compare because there's a feed mill about an hour away and I know they make a poultry feed.  I've not bothered to look into it thus far because by the time I add the price of gas it's cheaper just to go to the Co-Op 10min from my house.  Plus I get a kickback back from them each year in both stock & cash.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
Unfortunately because it's a custom blend it doesn't have an ingredient tag on the bag. I looked at the Bill of lading and all it says is 600lb corn 400lb of poultry supplement and 50lb of calcium. So next time I go I will ask for a run down on "poultry supplement". I do have a label off there regular High Energy Layer ration which is only a 16% protein ration.
Protein    16%
Lysine   Min .84%
Methionine   Min .40%
Crude Fat. Max  4.40%
Crude Fiber Max 3.6%
Calcium Min 3.4% Max 4.4%
Phosphorus  Min .69%
Salt Min .30% Max .80%
Then the Ingredient list reads like this: Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Forage Products, Vegetable and Animal Fat (preserved with BHT), Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate. Then it runs down through Vitamine A, E, d3, B12 Riboflavin and Zinc Oxide.

So I bet since it is a Layer Ration it will be close to this, with a 20% protein level. I will definitely ask next time just because I am curious now lol. One thing I do know is I never had any trouble with it. Never noticed feather picking? I also use this blend to raise the Juveniles all the way up to show day. The only supplement I provide is a vitamin supplement added to the water twice a week during breeding season. My birds have finished out well, and at the shows 😉. So Royce it may be worth a trip down to your local Mill. I am always looking to cut cost when I can. I may order another 1000lbs on Monday. I looked at previous feed bills from last couple years it normally runs from $10.75-$12.85 per bag. So that's $37 cheaper than the lowest price I paid, which equals a couple sheets of plywood. So I can justify building another breeding/conditioning unit 😂😂😂
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
I'd like the recipe, too. Our local mill will do a custom run as long as they have the ingredients available. Their minimum order is 500lb, although I'd probably get a better price on a larger order.
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 09:36:54 AM »
Recently I bought a 16% layer pellet for $12.75/bag. The salesman delivered six bags for that price and that seemed very reasonable to me. It comes from a small mill in Riverdale, Michigan. Contact me for contact info on the salesman if you live in the Mid-Michigan area and are interested in feed from Riverdale Feed & Grain.