Author Topic: Book Update  (Read 1836 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Book Update
« on: July 21, 2021, 01:18:15 PM »
"The Ameraucana Book" is in the production stage. The original mock-up that came back from the printer needed extensive corrections. They have now been made, and the copy is back in the hands of the printer. I was told that there should be printed copies in hand by the end of August. We ended up with 150 pages, which includes a few pages for readers' notes, plus a copyright page, a two-page Table of Contents, and a page for Credits and sources of information. I opted for 8 1/2 by 11 inch pages to keep the font size large enough for easy reading. There are lots of photographs, both old and recent. I'll keep you updated when I know more. Right now it looks like price of the book will come in at about $20 (plus shipping if required). That will barely cover my costs of layout and printing. No charge for signing these first edition copies, and I will bring along a supply to the National Meet in October.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 01:27:06 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Book Update
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:22:49 PM »
Great...thanks for the update.  8)

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:39:14 PM »
Great news Mike..look forward to seeing it in my hands in October!!...I hope..

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
I met with the printer for the final time today, August 6th.   And then I stopped by the post office to check about shipping options.   Good news and bad news.   It turns out I can cover my costs by charging only $20 per book.   It is soft cover, 8 1/2" by 11" and runs about 157 pages.  I included not only Ameraucana history, personal opinion pieces, and layman's genetics, but also some personal history, some humor, some poetry, and some human interest pieces as well.  It has a prologue and an epilogue.  And a lot of photographs; old b&w and newer color.  Most photos are in color, along with the front and back covers.   
That bad news is that there doesn't seem to be a flat rate shipping option.   I'll have to take a copy to the post office and get cost estimates for book rate and priority mail.  I will deliver books to our national meet in Indiana this October, to the Central Illinois show November 6th, to the Wisconsin International show in Portage, WI, on September 25th, and possibly the Minnesota show in Hutchinson on October 23rd.    I could also send books with a friend to couple of other shows, including the APA National in Arkansas on November 6th.   That would save shipping costs.

At this point I'm ready to take orders.  I will be happy to sign copies if that is so desired. 

Edited to add:  If you need shipping, do not send a remittance until I give you the shipping cost.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 04:56:18 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
Great news Mike, please put me down for two to be delivered to our national. Let me know if you need payment now  8)
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks Russ.   No need to send remittance, we can settle up at the Meet.  I assume the 2nd copy is for Dave?
Mike Gilbert

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 05:40:51 PM »
OHHH, goody, I have been looking forward to this book so much!

I will get one at the National Meet.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
Correct Mike :)
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 08:21:55 PM »
I picked up the books today.   I also got book rate mailers at the post office.   Rather than have the post office figure postage on every shipment, I am just going to charge $27 for shipped books.  That will cover cost of production, the special mailers, and an average amount of postage.  I will probably ship John's copy tomorrow (Wednesday, August 25th).   If anyone else reading this wants books shipped, please send $27 by check or money order, as I don't do Paypal.   Thanks!
I would also appreciate any and all comments and corrections.   I already discovered a couple of items that need slight editing, and I'm sure there must be more.   There will be a questionnaire inside the front cover for you to respond with suggestions, etc., with my email and address on it.  Please be sure to use it so I have some ammo for a second edition later.  Thanks again.
Mike Gilbert

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 12:37:50 PM »
Guess what came in the mail today?
 8)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
Thanks John.  It is definitely NOT the great American novel I had dreamed about writing when I was young and even more foolish than now, but I did get good reviews from my Pastor today before Bible study.   I hope you enjoy it. 
Mike Gilbert

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 12:27:49 PM »
Mike, I sure hope you are saving an autographed first edition for me to pick up at the National!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
Stan, yes indeed.   I'm delivering quite a few to the national meet including yours.   I will probably wait and inscribe them there as it will be easier than keeping track of who's book is who's. 
Mike Gilbert

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 09:44:51 AM »
Hi Mike! Please save a copy for me. I'll pick it up at the National.  :)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
Great!   I was wondering if you would be able to make it this year.   I entered 15 bantams and just one large fowl.   What will you be showing?
Mike Gilbert