Author Topic: Miscellaneous  (Read 496 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Miscellaneous
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »
It's been pretty quiet here lately. How about some photos of your grow outs? Who is planning to show at the national next month?
Book sales are strong. I only had 100 copies made. I'm wondering if anyone would be even interested in a 2nd edition, corrected, needed edits made, and hard bound. With about 80 to 100 pages of additional material.   Let me know what you think.  Maybe this was enough?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
Re: Miscellaneous
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:34:05 AM »
Put me down for the 2nd edition! My order is in the mail for the first edition.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 02:41:43 PM »
...How about some photos of your grow outs? Who is planning to show at the national next month?...

I'm planning to show 26 birds at our Ameraucana National Meet...12 large fowl, in buff, lavender & black, and 14 bantams, in buff, lavender, silver & black.  I'll try to bring some eggs for competition also.

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »
You have some lookers there! I'm liking the silver bantam pullet a lot.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing John!   Looking good.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 01:02:58 PM »
You have some lookers there! I'm liking the silver bantam pullet a lot.

The bantam silver girl is one of 4 I've kept and she is the best with the most silvery/white head.  Her mama was a silver hen I'd held onto for a few years and her daddy was either a cockerel from Mike that was part silver Dutch or a cockerel I had bred from a buff/Dutch cross.  I had rotated both Ks over the hen, so the sire of each of the offspring is questionable.  There were 7 silver cockerels I raised, but the center ridge of their combs was too high so I sold them all as butcher birds.  I have a some lavender cockerels that carry wildtype e+ and plan to use them over the silver pullets next year.
With the cooler weather here I hope to sort thru my large fowl buffs and blacks soon and decide which to keep and which to show out of the keepers.  With the blacks I have 10 cockerels & 8 pullets left and plan to only keep maybe 3 of each as breeders for next year.