Author Topic: ABA Scheduled Qualifying Meet - Self-Blue Ameraucana  (Read 1194 times)

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
ABA Scheduled Qualifying Meet - Self-Blue Ameraucana
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
I just received my ABA Quarterly Newsletter, Summer 2021 Edition and thought I'd share the following information:

"ABA Scheduled Qualifying Meet
Self-Blue Ameraucana
Ohio National Welcome Back Show
November 13 & 14, 2021 Columbus, Ohio
Proposed Bantam Standard:
COMB, FACE, WATTLES, and EAR LOBES: Red BEAK: Horn
EYES: Reddish Bay BEARD and MUFFS: Light slaty blue
SHANKS and TOES: Slaty blue, bottoms of feet pinkish white
PLUMAGE: Refer to self-blue color description in ABA Bantam Standard."
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:20:04 PM by Michael Muenks »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: ABA Scheduled Qualifying Meet - Self-Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 02:20:39 PM »
I would take issue with the description of the female lobe color - for pretty obvious reasons.   It does not match up with the APA Standard description for all the other varieties.  The ABA needs to change their description for all Ameraucana varieties to match that of the APA. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:57:26 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
I was a bit surprised by the divergence from the other varieties, but I'm just getting back into the swing of things.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 02:24:04 PM »
I spoke with Bob Rennolet on the phone yesterday.   He was at the "self blue" bantam qualifying meet at the Ohio National.   He said there over 100 self-blue bantams shown.  He took two displays himself.   I did not attend as I don't raise that variety.     I believe he said he had best trio.     Bob is also going to Knoxville in December to help out with the qualifying meet for Splash.  Again, I won't be going as I don't raise that variety either.   Bob said he saw John Blehm yesterday at the Ohio national.   I know John was not showing, but went to get some cooping.
Mike Gilbert

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 08:18:10 PM »
I'm really glad the meet went well. Hopefully this will be the year the bantams catch up to the large fowl.

I will be at Knoxville contributing my one splash to the effort. He is probably darker than what the standard calls for, but I like the contrast of dark and light.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
Bob will be in Knoxville too.   Not sure how many splash he is taking.    Is this for both LF and bantam?
Mike Gilbert

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:23:06 AM »
Just bantams. It is the ABA qualifying meet.

Barbara Campbell

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
 I am planning to attend mostly to visit with Alliance members but of course I will have to look at the Americana while I'm there:)  Knoxville is only about a 45 minute drive for us. Anyone besides Michael and bobAnyone besides Michael and bob planning to attend? I'm excited to see old friends!

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 10:55:59 AM »
I am planning to attend mostly to visit with Alliance members but of course I will have to look at the Americana while I'm there:)  Knoxville is only about a 45 minute drive for us. Anyone besides Michael and bobAnyone besides Michael and bob planning to attend? I'm excited to see old friends!

Glad to hear that Barb.  Mary and I don't expect to be there, unless as visitors.   Are you ready for birds in the spring?   Sending you an email.
Mike Gilbert

Heidi Grable

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 09:50:28 PM »
I was part of that effort for ABA recognition. I wrote a reply to the lavender versus self blue thread asking for help here http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=199.0

It was really a great experience to work with the other breeders, and the show was wonderful with so many birds and zero disqualifications. A really great group of people from all backgrounds worked together out of a love for this variety. Now we are searching for a fifth person to help us work towards APA recognition. We have four people willing to sign affidavits attesting to five years of breeding this variety and five years of APA membership.
We would love any help and suggestions. Thank you so so much for any help you can give us. We are also writing up the origin history and breeding background, along with any educational facts, so any assistance with that would be greatly appreciated.
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.
Heidi Grable

Michael Muenks

• Administrator
  • Associate
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 08:38:14 AM »
I wish could help out, but I haven't had lavender Ameraucana since I had to sell out in 2010. If you cannot find anyone to raise them and keep up an APA membership for 5 years please let me know and I will try to find some this spring.

Michael

Heidi Grable

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 06:21:22 PM »
Thanks so much Michael!