Author Topic: Ameraucana Merchandise  (Read 4254 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Ameraucana Merchandise
« on: May 10, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »
Ameraucana Egg Color Reference Charts, club patches and club name badges may be ordered from the Ameraucana Merchandise page of our AmeraucanaAlliance.org site.
The egg color charts and patches have been ordered and your orders will be filled as soon as they arrive here.
I'll let all members know about the name badges in the summer newsletter and place an order, with the company that makes them, after all members have had time to consider them.
Sorry, but it is too late to get delivery by Mother's Day.  ;)   

Michelle Ogden

Re: Ameraucana Merchandise
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Has anyone ever considered making the egg color chart a bit more sequential? As in, having the colors progressive in depth, rather than random? And maybe eliminating all the purply-grey colors? Possibly having various blue hues like this:

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:43:46 PM »
If I would have done one from scratch that is the way I would have done it. 
Several years ago, Frank Decmar, from The British Araucana Club solictited real dried egg shells to come up with the chart many of us have today.  The Araucana Club of America used it too, featuring their club in the center.  Rather than reinvent the wheel, as they say, a few years ago I designed a center for the ABC and Frank worked with me to customize a chart for our club.  Now with the new club name I've worked with Frank to do it again.  The German and/or Australian Araucana clubs may be using them also.   
Keep in mind these are only intended to use as references for people around the world to tell what egg shell color they have or want. 

Michelle Ogden

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the history on that. I've been curious how it came about. I just often feel like I find myself saying things like "it's bluer than C4" or "it's a little darker than B1". Seems like it would be nice to have a more relevant palate of colors, with a more coordinated flow to them (ie. light to dark).
Maybe we can head up our own egg shell collection for an Ameraucana Alliance chart. I'm sure dozens of breeders would be willing to send some in for such a valid cause. :) I understand that's a huge undertaking though, and probably best to discuss in the "off-season"...

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
I will generally take a picture of the egg laying in the center of the chart and hope that whatever the camera does to the shell it does to the corresponding color on the chart. Then the guy at the other end can look at their chart and have a good guess.
Beth Curran