Author Topic: Silver bantam males  (Read 712 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Silver bantam males
« on: November 22, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »
Pictured from the left is a 2019 hatch 1/2 Dutch cock, in the middle his grandson from 2021, and on the right a 2020 son of the 2019 cock.   The 2020 cock is coming through a molt.  They are definitely still a work in progress.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Silver bantam males
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »
I grew out 7 silver cockerels that looked the same.  Their combs just didn't show enough improvement to keep them.  I have kept 4 cockerels that are part lavender and silver that have better combs and I'll cross them over my 3 silver pullets and a lavender silver pullet.  Some of these are descended from the silver Dutch hen.  I also have at least one bantam buff pullet and one bantam black pullet descended from her.  She was very small and used to bring down the size.  I'll probably also cross the bantam white K, I bought from Gary Rossman, over the silver pullets...mainly to improve the combs.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Silver bantam males
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 07:57:24 AM »
John, it will be interesting to see if the White cockerel you bought from Gary is SS, Ss, or ss.     If you remember, let me know when you get the results of those crosses you have planned.  It will be an ideal test mating to find out.    I am doing a similar test, using the only White bantam cockerel I saved this year over a Silver pullet that inherited Cha.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:00:16 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13