Author Topic: Ermine project questions  (Read 210 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
Ermine project questions
« on: January 05, 2024, 12:04:59 PM »
hey... I have just been bitten by the Ermine project.. I am not nearly as sharp with genetics as I should be and these birds are making me ask a lot of questions that I am not finding answers to so I thought I would pick brains here.. It is recommended by Ermine breeders that you use only Blacks from Black lines.. is there a difference between Black birds from a Black line and Black birds from blue to Blue breeding?.. other than the base color, can a Black from a Blue line cause blue feathers to pop up in the Ermine?..more questions to follow!..lol

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Ermine project questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:59:55 PM »
No, blue cannot appear out of blacks.    Black chickens do not carry any genetics for blue.  If they did, they would be blue, not black.   There may be other reasons the breeders prefer you use only blacks from black lines, but I am not aware of what it might be.  Maybe somebody else can enlighten us. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 10:10:34 AM »
I read an article somewhere written by Becky Pelton, which covers this subject. As I recall, when she was working on the creation, she tried a black male from a blue line (silver based) over an ermine female and didn't get any ermine chicks. Then she found a male from a black line (gold based) and had success with that bird. Don't quote me on that, but that's the best I can recall. You should reach out to her for more info.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 01:56:09 PM »
Thanks Max.. I have been in contact with her.. she is only 2 hours away and we chat often..she doesn't remember wh yBlacks are different from Blue lines..