Author Topic: Blue Egg Genetics  (Read 871 times)

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Blue Egg Genetics
« on: April 28, 2022, 02:31:46 AM »
Did a few searches on here and not finding anything.  Hoping someone can save me the time and knows the answer to a question I have.

I have 7 of my best F2 hens in with my best F2 cockerel from my Red Project.  One of the hens is laying a Buckeye colored egg.  Three are laying a greenish tint and 3 laying a nice blue.  Does anyone know how the blue egg gene works wrt to a female that obviously doesn't have it?

I am toe-punching it a different number from all the others.  The problem is I don't know which one she is.  Could be my best looking female.  But if her offspring are never gonna lay a blue egg there's no sense in hatching her eggs and wasting the cost and effort from doing so.

Btw, I'm gonna try to get pics this year.  The two males are really nice looking but one is a lighter red than the other. Though, of course, it has the nicer tail.  Both have nice legs.  Can't remember now what the wingset on them is.  At any rate, after I see what the F3's produce I should know better whether I've got birds that are worth sharing if anyone wants eggs to help with getting them accepted.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Blue Egg Genetics
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 10:18:31 AM »
Not sure what the question is, but a hen that lays brown eggs without the slightest hint of green carries no blue egg genetics at all.   Whether or not her offspring will lay green eggs depends on whether or not her mate has one, two, or no O genes.   O = symbol for blue egg gene.    If the male has one, about half the female offspring will lay green eggs.  If he has two they all will.   You can get your male tested for $25 thru IQGenetics in Florida.  They will tell you if he has one, two or none.   It's easy to pull a feather sample, fill out their form, and mail it to them.   Here is a link to their website:    https://www.iqgenetics.us/    They will send your results via email, or you can get them right on the website assuming you have registered there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:33:11 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: Blue Egg Genetics
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »
Thanks.  The question was "Does anyone know how the blue egg gene works wrt to a female that obviously doesn't have it?"  Perhaps the "wrt" threw you off.  My bad. That's short for "with regard to".  Old habit.  Picked that and many others up when I was in the "Nav". 

Again, thanks for the answer because it gave me what I needed to know.  I'll just hatch out a dozen of her eggs, toe-punch them accordingly, keep the females and see what they lay.  That should tell me what the rooster is carrying.

I'll keep that "IQgenetics" in mind though.  I'm guessing they can tell me down the road whether any of my breeders are carrying a recessive yellow leg gene.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)