Author Topic: Hen Spurs  (Read 737 times)

Justin Snyder

Hen Spurs
« on: May 02, 2022, 08:36:21 AM »
I have one hen that has 3/4" spurs. At least some of her offspring have spurs. Should I cull her and the offspring with spurs?

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hen Spurs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 10:19:06 AM »
I don't know what you have for replacement stock, but if you do have other birds as good in other respects, yes, I would cull her.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:46:38 AM »
My thoughts are about the same as Mike's. I would not breed from her unless you want to find out more about the hen spur trait. You say her offspring have spurs. Since you mention that, I assume you mean her daughters also. How old are they when they develop spurs? Online searches talk about hen spurs, but there are only guesses about the genetics behind the trait. Some say they most common in older hens and Mediterranean breeds and a few others. Is the hen from an old/established line of Ameraucanas or was there some crossbreeding in recent generations?
With many decades of raising chickens I've seen many oddities, but I don't recall having a hen with spurs. If it happens most often in older hens that may be why I haven't experienced it. Most hens don't make it past one or two years here.

Justin Snyder

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 06:34:31 PM »
It is a self blue line that I have had for about 6 years and I have never seen it before last year. The hen is three now and the pullets from her are almost 1 year. 50% have enough spur to say they will be large like hers. She wasn't a very good layer but some of her daughters are. I have been considering getting rid of the self blue for a couple of years. I just don't like them as much as the blues. This sounds like a good point to get out of them and just focus on my blue line.