Author Topic: Tardy Gene  (Read 6935 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Tardy Gene
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »
Looking for some advice in the best way to remove this from a line, my line of Silvers to be exact. I think I have a grasp on the concept. Which will require individual test matings to see who carries it. I noticed last year some of the cockerels were slow to feather. I plan on test mating all pullets to the culprit cock from last year. Is it safe to say which ever pullets offspring do not show the slow feathering in cockerels do not carry the gene correct? Then all offspring should be culled? Any pullets who offspring show it I should use with the cockerels and do the same thing with offspring? Which should by theory tell me who is carrying the tardy gene but more importantly who is not, which will be the only ones I keep. My big question is now will I have to repeat this the following year and if so how many more? Would outcrossing save any time?
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Tardy Gene
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
My understanding is that females feather earlier than males, regardless of the breed, and that the rate of feathering and the body growth rate are linked,  but as for "sexing" the birds, i do not think that will work as the gene that controls it is autosomal dominant.  So based on my limited knowledge once you find fast featherers of either sex, you should be closer to your goal. 

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:50:51 AM »
Interesting, I assume tardy was a recessive gene and usually shows in males before the females. That's why I love these forums, give me people to acquire more knowledge 😃
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »
You're most kind Russ.  I read some more on it, and it seems that the best time to notice feather rate is at 10 days with feathering happening first from shoulder, thigh, breast, neck and then tail.  Perhaps following that lead you can choose appropriately.  I did notice feathering in the last batch I hatched, quite accidentally simply because the journal I have has a spot for it, but I can't say I did more than check a box.  I'll have to go back now with this new link you've given me, and see what happened...so thanks.

Christina King

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:37 AM »
I noticed this too Russ, from the birds I grew out from you. Usually chicks are feathered out in about 3-4 weeks, these took much longer. I didn't get them out of the house until about 6 weeks or more. I would also have to go back and check that info out. Interested in what you decide to do, and the results of your testing. And your advice for me! ;-)
Silvers make my Heart beat faster ~~~

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
I am also dealing with the tardy gene in my strain of Silvers. Unfortunately the only 2014 cockerel I hatched without it has wry tail AND roach back, so I'm basically up the creek without a paddle now.  ::) Outcrossing to a fast feathering variety, likely black, is the only viable option I can see...

Taken from Genetics of the Chicken Extremes by Sigrid Van Dort and Friends:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:06:01 AM by Lee G »
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:56:23 PM »
What are the detrimental effects, other than slow feathering?? I have heard that this is a desirable trait in some breeds, esp those with pattern gene..

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
I haven't noticed anything bad except the fact they are slower to feather Stan. I personally want to get them faster to feather to help cull. This year I will be culling all slow feathering chicks. All the previous ones had vigor and grew out to be beautiful. With Silvers there is always something to improve and every year it seems to change. Type and size are decent now a days so now off to another aspect 😃. That's if we go by the standard on size I should state. Most Blacks at the shows are bigger than the standard says they should be in my opinion.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
Russ, be careful when you cull for slow feathering, as I'm sure you know cockerels will often feather out slower than pullets.   I wouldn't want to see you end up with a pen full of nice pullets and no males to go with them!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
Stan, I’ve minimum field experience here, but according to my genetic book slow feathering (K) can affect the preen tail gland, and cause it to become over active, as well as decrease comb size in hens. It also increases sensitivity to avian leukosis viruses, especially in hens.

Come to think of it, I have noticed my slower feathering silvers have smaller, tighter combs than their faster feathering brethren.  :o

But like Russ, I prefer faster feathering birds over slower ones because their rate of growth is usually faster as well. At least in my experience.  :)

~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
Thanks for the friendly advice Mike, when I get an idea I have been known to cull a little heavy. Normally I try to hatch out 250 to hopefully get 10 nice ones for breeders. This year is slow going being most of them are late hatching pullets. Thank you too Lee that's some good stuff also
S.E. Michigan

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
Thanks Lee and Russ....getting that kind of info is a big reason I'm here...

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:20:15 AM »
Glad if any of it helps!  :)

And Russ, I have the same problem with culling a bit hard. Or not culling hard enough. It's a delicate balance I'm still learning!

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
I am also dealing with the tardy gene in my strain of Silvers. Unfortunately the only 2014 cockerel I hatched without it has wry tail AND roach back, so I'm basically up the creek without a paddle now.  ::) Outcrossing to a fast feathering variety, likely Black, is the only viable option I can see...

Taken from Genetics of the Chicken Extremes by Sigrid Van Dort:

She's quoting Morley A Jull's work btw.

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »
^ Yes, you're right. I should have quoted Sigrid AND friends for the book. I will correct it now.

Also excited to have another name to research and learn from. Thank you.  :)