Author Topic: Fluralaner, ivermectin examined for bed bug control on poultry farms  (Read 468 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Feedstuffs
Fluralener was highly effective at killing bed bugs that fed on chickens dosed with the drug. Ivermectin, meanwhile, was ineffective against bed bugs that fed on dosed chickens.

MSD Animal Health, a division of Merck & Co.
EXZOLT®, a first-of-its-kind product based on the fluralaner molecule for the treatment of poultry red mite infestations and kills mites that have taken a blood meal, while remaining safe for the host animal.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Fluralaner, ivermectin examined for bed bug control on poultry farms
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 06:53:42 PM »
 Sounds good - especially since I have Merck stock.   Have you tried it for your birds?   I'm very happy with Ivermectin for mites and lice.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Stacy Melton

Re: Fluralaner, ivermectin examined for bed bug control on poultry farms
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »
I have used a Fluralaner solution for treating red mites.  It works.   In early 2021, I had a terrible mite outbreak, I treated with everything I knew, cleaned and sprayed everywhere but could not break the cycle.  I thought I was gonna have to burn a few building to get rid of the dang things.   Fluralaner was not approved in the US at the time, but it was being used in Europe, New Zealand etc.  Janie Vila helped me and found some studies that showed great results.   I was able to get a hold of some and dosed my entire flock.  The mites were gone/dead within 24-48 hours.  I checked weekly to see if they returned but they did not.   6 months later I was still mite free and so happy to not burn any building as the cycle was truly broken.  Also, I noticed no ill affects to my birds or hatch rates nor was there any egg withdrawal period.  I would use Fluralaner again without worry.

I will look up this product and buy some.  Thank you John for the heads up!