Author Topic: Devastation  (Read 1145 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Devastation
« on: February 23, 2023, 05:41:28 PM »
Well I went out to find a mink paid me a visit last night in the ice storm. I had 4 pens of large fowl, with 25+ large fowl brown red and blue Ameraucana. I now have 2 large fowl brown red hens left. It’s Breeding season for every predator out there folks. Don’t let complacency be your down fall like it was mine. I normally run a series of traps around my pens all winter but didn’t reset them after the last predators were caught a month ago. I will not keep another chicken outside until I build a new barn and pen for them this summer. I may very well just get out of large fowl since I pretty much am at this point again. 3 predator attacks in the last 5 years really frustrates a man. I am starting to think getting rid of my hounds was the worse mistake I made. I never had predator problems when I had a few hounds out back. Guarantee the next pens will have nothing bigger than 1/2 x 1/2” heavy duty wire mesh.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Devastation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »
Of all the predators, mink are the worse from my experience...if there are any varieties that I can help you out with just let me know.  :(

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 06:35:23 PM »
Russ, I'm really sorry to hear that.  I know you had some really good birds.  Maybe Stacy can help you on the LF Brown Reds.   A fox cleaned me out last summer, and the lone surviving pullet was not one I wanted to keep to start over.   This winter I've been more concerned about weasels.   The cats got another one yesterday inside the pole barn.  Fortunately, all the birds for now are in the coop.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 06:58:50 PM »
Definitely was a buck mink by the size of his track. Sorry the picture loaded side ways
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:01:32 AM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Kalin McClure

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 11:37:08 PM »
Oh no! :'(  So sorry to hear that. I know how awful that feeling is when you go out and realize there’s been an attack.

Frederick Mansfield

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 09:31:52 AM »
It’s hard losing the hard work and good birds and I feel for you. I lost a few blacks and blacktail reds this past year myself to a mink. Recently we’ve had a bobcat roll through but managed to trap him a couple days ago. It  sounds like some good folks are doing their best to help you rebuild. Hopefully there’s  no more occurances for you.

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 11:45:16 AM »
Sorry to hear this Russ... Let me know if you want any large fowl Blues. I'll send you some free of charge.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 08:35:09 PM »
Sorry to hear this Russ... Let me know if you want any large fowl Blues. I'll send you some free of charge.

Max, your attitude reminds me of that of the originators of the different varieties who were working together so many years ago for the betterment of the breed.  Congratulations and thank you for your own contributions to the breed.  I will be in Texas this month, but on a tightly scheduled bus tour.  Otherwise, I would have loved to visit and see your birds.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 12:01:50 PM »
Thank you Mike. I know first hand how shocking and upsetting it is to lose your flock and all the hard work that's put into it. Many breeders out there refuse to share their bloodlines and therefore risk losing everything they've accomplished if something were to happen to their flocks. I'm happy to help where I can and I know the folks in this group would do the same if the opportunity arises.  :)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:18 PM »
Thanks for your generosity Max, luckily I had my best large fowl blues already moved into my barn. I actually am getting pretty good hatches of them. Mainly it was my large fowl brown reds that got ransacked. This will be the summer of pen construction here, using 1/2" x 1/2" 16ga mesh along with the 2'x4' welded wire. I have been meaning to upgrade for a couple years and this seems to be the year I better get it done.
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 07:46:56 AM »
Finally got him, unfortunately it was at the expense of a couple more chickens. He will not be killing anymore though
S.E. Michigan

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 01:53:26 PM »
Nice!! Glad you got him.  :) I am thankful we don't have those around my place... (knocking on wood)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »
Max these are hands down the worse predator a chicken farmer can have. This is twice now in 5 years I had them pay me a visit. They will kill everything they can get ahold of then move on to the next pen and kill all those as well. They kill just to kill and unfortunately they will keep coming back unless you eradicate them.
S.E. Michigan

Stacy Melton

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 09:07:53 PM »
So glad you got that dang mink!   I am hatching out as many Brown Reds as i can this season.   If you want a trio this fall or winter, let me know and i will try to get you a nice starter kit!   ;D   I will miss competing with your nice brown red birds this season.   See you in April at the DFFC.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 07:46:45 PM »
So sorry to hear this, Russ. I wish I had birds to send you. I haven't hatched much since back-to-back hurricanes in 2018 & 2019 did so much damage here. Glad you got the evil, murderous little monster. Makes me want to get out my mother's mink stole and wear it...

Beth Curran