Author Topic: Michigan Bans Poultry Shows  (Read 9216 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Michigan Bans Poultry Shows
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
Just had someone post on my Face Book page they just placed a ban on poultry shows including fairs today. I am going to try and post it from my phone anyone else heard this? I called our 4-H barn superintendent and he confirmed it????
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Michigan Bans Poultry Shows
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 05:54:27 PM »
This doesn't make sense, especially when there has not been any confirmed cases? They don't give a time frame from what I saw either? I am not happy right now, this also means no fair and 4-H shows. Now what do I do with 100 meat birds that just shipped?? Looks like chicken for dinner for awhile 😳😳😳
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »

What is concerning to me is that the announcement did not state an expiration date for the ban.    So they are banning bird exhibitions for how long?   Forever?    Until the end of the year?    Somebody within the state needs to follow up on this and get more information.    Based on what has been posted there would be no FowlFest show this fall, thus no A.A. national meet unless it is moved to a different venue.   But let's not panic - we need to get the details.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 06:05:36 PM »
I agree Mike unfortunately most offices are closed at this time so someone will need to make some calls tomorrow 😔
S.E. Michigan

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 06:11:59 PM »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:14:34 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »
The Wisconsin International club members are meeting near the end of June to decide whether to hold their show scheduled for the last weekend of September.   Would anyone be interested in taking the A.A. National there if they decide it is a go?    The Wisconsin quarantine on the four counties expired May 31st, and there have been no new cases since about May 3rd or 4th.
Mike Gilbert

Holly Frosch

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »
I hear you regarding the meat birds, Russ. Luke got his on 5/12 and learned on 5/21 that he wouldn't be showing. He sure is learning a ton, though. Time to make some room in the freezer!

We were really looking forward to an APA show this year - hopefully that flu bug slows down a bit. We've had two more probable cases today and had quite a few last week with new areas affected. The IPA cancelled PT tester training last week, too - figure they must have been busy with other issues.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:33:58 PM by Holly Frosch »

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 01:57:52 AM »
I hear ya, Mike, but from what I've seen on some poultry sites and groups, I think there are a bunch of folks who've got Panic Button being constantly pressed.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
Unfortunately I think the big poultry farms are the ones pushing all the panic buttons. All in the name of Big Money, like I said there has been no recorded outbreaks in Michigan. With all the confirmed cases through out the nation you know poultry and poultry product cost will rise. The unaffected Areas and Big Farms are looking to capitalize on this with no regard to any body else. I can travel to make shows unfortunately most 4H kids can not. The local county fair is there only opportunity to get involved in this hobby that's the sad part.
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Unfortunately I think the big poultry farms are the ones pushing all the panic buttons. All in the name of Big Money, like I said there has been no recorded outbreaks in Michigan. With all the confirmed cases through out the nation you know poultry and poultry product cost will rise. The unaffected Areas and Big Farms are looking to capitalize on this with no regard to any body else. I can travel to make shows unfortunately most 4H kids can not. The local county fair is there only opportunity to get involved in this hobby that's the sad part.

Matt Boensch with the Fowl Fest said in an email...
Someone sitting in a chair thinking they need to do something.  Big brother at its finest.
I don't like the wording of the press release.  The state can't "cancel" private events.  The state can "ban" them or make them "illegal".

Everyone who shows knows that its likely that we will bring home an illness from a show at some point.  Its the risk we take and we all quarantine our show birds to one extent or another.  The exhibition people have nothing to do with the commercial people...

Bill Patterson with the Fowl Fest said in an email...
This state has been anti purebred poultry since I've been in school. I'll bet none of them have ever even attended one of our shows-

If you look at the migratory flyways map you can see that most of Michigan's lower peninsula isn't even included in one.  I know birds don't read maps and they still fly thru, but it still puts us in an area with reduced risk.
I believe, at least here in Michigan, this "ban" is all about state government in cahoots with big agricultural businesses and their lobbying groups.   They have found an anthill that they can make the public believe is a mountain and use it to further their agenda.  They don't want any competition.  They don't want "local" produce stands, farmer's markets, a neighbor selling sides of beef or other meat, farm fresh eggs or raw honey sold from your front door, etc.  By stopping fanciers from competing in exhibitions and both fanciers and entrepreneurs from selling and buying at swap meets Big Brother is trying keep us under control.  Without a real or proven threat to our health I believe the state of Michigan has completely overstepped their authority and infringing on our civil liberties.     

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
And now Ohio has done the same thing.  Along with Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, and the Dakotas.    So far Illinois and Wisconsin have not banned shows and swaps, but don't hold your breath. 
Mike Gilbert

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
The East outside of PA, is pretty clear though; so are those neighboring states so it all depends where you are how much this is affecting you. Right now I would say Fayetteville Arkansas was a good call.   But of course the Midwest being the farm belt, is getting hit the hardest.  So how bout a club show in WV?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
So how bout a club show in WV?
If you and a couple others plan to show at a show there, then you can request a meet by emailing Beth.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
Matt Boensch emailed the Notice of Quarantine this morning.  The language is in conflict with the state's press release that was issued the same day and states “...cancel all 2015 poultry and waterfowl exhibitions in Michigan”.  The official notice says until further notice , and that could be better or could be worse than December 31st.