Author Topic: Michigan Bans Poultry Shows  (Read 9214 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Michigan Bans Poultry Shows
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
Sounds like there may be hope yet then John? Or maybe not? I have wrote e mails to my representatives and the Governor stating not only my concerns as an exhibitor but also as a father of 2 4H members. I have passed on the contacts to all our 4H members asking they to write there concerns and voice them. If we all stick together and voice our concerns maybe the State Veterinarian will reconsider and lift the ban. If nothing else it will give the youth a wonderful opportunity to get involved and learn there is something we can do when the government does something you don't agree with.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:17:21 AM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 09:38:43 AM »
Sounds like there may be hope yet then John? Or maybe not?
Maybe and yes.  As my friend Matt Boensch said "until further notice" can mean "forever"!
From a news story Mike posted a while ago...“USDA Chief Veterinary Officer Dr. John Clifford said Tuesday that once temperatures reach the 70s, new cases should drop off as the virus doesn't survive well in warmer weather.”  Yet, according to the press release this ban is thru 12/31/2015…not a practical date like August 31 or the last day of summer.  December 31st is as silly as Valentine’s day or Ground Hog day.
I wrote to my state rep and senator on Tuesday.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
I'd be thrilled to have a show in my home state, but I couldn't find any listings for West Virginia shows when we were looking at places to hold a national. Sue, do you know of some that maybe only advertise local but are big enough to accommodate us?

Cape Fear (Smithfield, NC) could probably hold us all, they hosted the RIR nationals a few years ago, but that would be a nearly impossible trip for many of you.  :(
Beth Curran

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 05:07:28 PM »
We have a show in Colorado the 23 or 24 of October that has hinted they would like a National Meet.  I could feel them out if anyone wanted to come west...  It is usually the same weekend as Sedalia, MO.  Speaking of which maybe Sedalia?  The Malcolm Family will do our best to get to wherever the National is held...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:14:29 PM by The Malcolm Family »

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
Same here no matter where it is I am going to try my best to make it. I didn't hatch out over 500 chicks for myself without the intent of showing a few off . But I am not counting Michigan out yet lol. I am spreading the suggestion throughout all the local 4H clubs to start writing letters to congressman. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:40:25 PM by Russ Blair »
S.E. Michigan

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:17 PM »
No Beth, I don't know of anywhere in particular in WV, I was jsut throwing an idea out, to keep the idea afloat.   A friend who has connections, did check for me, that Nebraska is open.  It's very Central but the big Fair is in the end of August.  I could ask her to see what other states are open as well.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
Poultry Show Central is trying to keep their listing up to date, so that is the place to check for shows.

Christine Kitsch

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
WVa is shut down...so is NY...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/06/bird_flu_found_in_michigan_gee.html

H5N2 avian influenza was detected in free-ranging Canadian geese in Macomb County, according to the Michigan departments of of Natural Resources and Agriculture and Rural Development.

Wild Canada (not Canadian) geese have it?  What did they expect?  Even us backyard chicken farmers understood the wild waterfowl are the carriers.  So, even without reading the entire story I can imagine DNA guys/gals with nothing better to do, out trying to catch wild geese to prove H5N2 is in the state.  I keep typing and then deleting what I wrote...I'm told not to call others that when I'm driving, so maybe...boy, they've got my feathers ruffled.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
I am with you John, I am fired up also. To ban all poultry shows and not ban importation of fowl from states with confirmed cases. Then to think the ban will stop the spread when wild migratory birds still migrate. It's enivitable if the almighty wants it in MI or any other state so be it. Let nature run its course and leave it to the exhibitors to choose to show or not to show. After all it's our time, money and livestock not their's.  😡😡😡
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:22:51 PM by Mike Gilbert »
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
I know each state may have different bans and rules on this, but in Michigan it is on Exhibitions and Expositions.  Basically that means no "comingling" of poultry...your birds and my birds can't visit each other.  I hear some talking about not selling, because of the ban but Craig's List, local shopping papers and a list of the phone #s of past customers work.  The site I like to use to sell my excess chickens on is BestFarmBuys.com because it is designed for agriculture.  You can still sell and people can still buy.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 08:46:37 PM »
Indiana and Ontario are lifting the bans on poultry shows, but with no reason given, Michigan says it has no plans to lift the quarantine.   :(

From: The Office of Senator Horn [mailto:SenKHorn@senate.michigan.gov]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:24 PM
To: John W Blehm
Subject: RE: Indiana relaxes bird show ban imposed due to avian flu

Dear John,

I contacted the DNR today and asked if the ban was being reconsidered in Michigan.  At this time there are no plans to lift the ban.

Sincerely,

Ken Horn
State Senator
The 32nd District

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: PA /Michigan Bans Poultry Shows
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »
got the same answer from Pennsylvania