Author Topic: showing a trio  (Read 302 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
showing a trio
« on: August 06, 2023, 01:18:01 PM »
      When showing a trio , must they all 3 be the same variety or can they be compatiable colors?..I would like to pair 2 blue pullets with a Black cockerel..

Don Cash

Re: showing a trio
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 01:02:52 PM »
Stan, they have to be the same variety. And they should be matched meaning the best you can put together balancing traits such as in a planned mating. Also the females have to match each other as closely as possible. I saw a post about showing trios etc from the Ohio National. I'll try to find it. One of their comments is to make sure the birds are used to each other so there is no fighting in the show pen.  Good Luck! 

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. /Mark Twain

Don Cash

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:10:01 PM »
Sorry, it was from an old Congress show bulletin

"Have you considered entering a trio this year? Champion trio $75.00, 2 nd place trio $50.00, 3 rd place, $25.00. Did you know… DISPLAY AWARDS 1.A trio consists of ONE MALE, TWO FEMALES – SAME BREED, SAME VARIETY, SAME AGE 2.The females should be identical twins, as close as possible in shape, size, color, and condition. a) NO TRIO WHERE THE FEMALES DON’T MATCH SHALL BE AWARDED FIRST PLACE b) A trio with two fair quality females that match should BEAT a trio with two excellent quality females that don’t match!
3.The male should be your best –he counts as half the trio!
4.Only birds from a first place trio can compete for Best of Variety or higher award! a) 1st cock, 1st hen, 1st cockerel 1st pullet, all three birds from the 1 st place old trio, and all three birds from the 1st place young trio compete for Best of Variety
5.Trios are judged against trios only (old trio Vs old trios, young trio Vs young trios - in the same variety), they DO NOT compete for placing in the cock, hen, cockerel, pullet judging. 6. If any one bird in a trio is disqualified, ALL three birds in that trio are disqualified! 7.In case of a tie – the trio with the highest scoring (better) male shall win. 8. Check show rules! Some shows coop the two females in the SAME cage, others coop each bird separately. Plan your trios accordingly, if the females are cooped together they should be penned together BEFORE the show – so they don’t fight at the show!"
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. /Mark Twain

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 09:30:20 AM »
I just want to add not only do they need to be the same variety but also they need to be in the same age bracket. Meaning you can’t use a pair of hens with a cockerel or a pair of pullets with a cock. They are entered as “old trio”, birds over 1 year of age and “young trio”, birds under 1 year of age.
S.E. Michigan