Author Topic: No way to Io-way  (Read 2313 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
No way to Io-way
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship announced an order to cancel all live bird exhibitions at county fairs, the Iowa State Fair, and other gatherings of birds due to avian influenza.

The Department’s order begins immediately, is effective through the end of 2015, and also prohibits live birds from being sold at livestock auction markets, swap meets and exotic sales.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: No way to Io-way
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »
Meanwhile, McMurray's and other hatcheries continue to ship chicks out of state, and the commercial producers continue to send eggs and broilers to market.   While the risk from chicks is probably very minimal, it seems like the small backyard flocks are bearing the brunt of the regulations while the big commercial producers, where the vast majority of A.I. cases have been found, continue to do business as usual. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
it seems like the small backyard flocks are bearing the brunt of the regulations while the big commercial producers, where  the vast majority of A.I. cases have been found, continue to do business as usual. 
Exactly!
Beth Curran

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »
Spot on Mike follow the money 😡😡😡. I was wondering if the politicians bothered to notify all the wild birds? Or if they installed some really tall netting? Funny is how many sheeple are buying the big scare from the media.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »
 Here is an article that explains the situation better than I can.

http://naturalnews.com/049905_bird_flu_factory_farming_chicken_health.html
Mike Gilbert

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »
Here is an article that explains the situation better than I can.

http://naturalnews.com/049905_bird_flu_factory_farming_chicken_health.html

^ Good write up on a sad situation.  :( Because how exactly is any living creature, in this case poultry, supposed to build and exercise good working immune systems, (let alone strong and healthy ones!) living inside a biosecure bubble?! Sheesh. I fear 'common sense' has truly become an oxymoron.  :-\
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »
There are some death losses inside those bubbles, but with vaccinations and antibiotics they can keep the vast majority alive for the six or seven weeks it takes to grow them to market size.  Then they start over with another batch of chicks, sometimes just covering the old litter with rolls of paper.   Other times they clean out the building and put down fresh litter.
Mike Gilbert