Author Topic: 2023 Cape Fear Poultry Association Double Card Show  (Read 261 times)

Stacy Melton

2023 Cape Fear Poultry Association Double Card Show
« on: December 10, 2023, 05:02:49 PM »
Saturday (12/9/23) was a beautiful day for a poultry show.  The sun was shining and temperature made it to the mid 70s.  The birds and I were a bit tired from doing three shows in four weeks, but the Cape Fear Show is always a good show and close to home, so I decided what the heck lets go.   Since it was not an Alliance meet, I took my best three Ameraucanas (Black K, Brown Red C, and Self Blue H) and a few of another LF breed I raise and set off down to NC.  This show boasted over a 1000 entries.  The LF Ameraucana were represented in 6 varieties - Black, Brown Red, Wheaton, White, Silver, and Self Blue.  16 LF in total were exhibited in each of the White Card and the Blue Card shows.  The Wheaton birds were very nice and gave me a run for my money but my Brown Red cock bird recieved Best of Breed in the White Card show and the Blue Card show.   

The AOSB class boasted about 40 birds with Malays, Modern Game, Naked Neck, Phoenix and Yokohama to name a few.  My Brown Red cock bird was on his game and recieved Best (Champion) AOSB in the White Card Show and the Blue Card Show.

Once that Brown Red cock bird got on Champion Row, he was posing for the judges and looking gorgeous!  While all the birds on champion row were nice, he was up against some pretty stiff competition from the birds in Asiatic class, English class and the Continental class.  Birds from top breeders I had just seen do well at the Ohio National and the Dixie Classic in Knoxville.  I was very happy to have my Brown Red boy as the Champion AOSB in both shows so was totally surprised when they called us up for Reserve Champion Large Fowl on the Blue Card Show.  I must say I did a little jig right there on the spot!

For those of you who are raising, breeding and/or showing a hard color pattern take heart.  Stay the course.   Set your breeding goals and don't give up.  This win is for those of us who have worked our tail feathers off, put in the long hours, and dedicated years to getting our birds set up for success.  Special thanks to all who have given me great feedback and helped me work on this difficult color.  It is you, my wonderful breeder friends, who make all the difference.

Mike Gilbert, I hope you are smiling big.  This was one of Harleys sons.  He is just a little over a year old and I can't wait to see him truly fill out as he matures in 2024.  I think he will finish out better than his Dad.   Pictures of the Brown Red cock bird. 

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: 2023 Cape Fear Poultry Association Double Card Show
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 05:39:51 PM »
Stacy, I can't express in words how happy I am for you.    What a wonderful achievement!   I miss my LF Brown Reds so much, even though they were a trial.  My last ones got wiped out by a fox a couple of years ago.   This was the best placing of a LF Brown Red  that I can remember since Jim Fegan took 3rd best large fowl Ameraucana at one of our national meets about 12-15 years ago.  That was on a cock bird that I had given him as a cockerel.   Thank you so much for the photos and your report!  God bless you my friend.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Stacy Melton

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 07:10:46 PM »
Thanks Mike.   This boy looks a lot like Harley when you first saw him at this young age.   His coloring is a little better and is tighter to the newish wording of the brown red color SOP.  Hopefully I can set up 3 brown red breeding pens this up coming season and hatch out a ton of babies.  You would have been proud of him, his color was really popping at the show.  Like you always say, when this color and pattern is right, they are as beautiful as any of the AM varieties!  Stay safe my friend.   Let me know if you want replacements!   ;)

Rebecca G Howie

• Administrator
  • College
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:25:51 AM »
Stacy, I am so happy and proud for you! The dedication and love you have for them is astounding and it is paying off. It really is a tribute to the dedicated breeders who has worked with the Brown Red variety over the years, cause for celebration from all of them to see such a fine example of the coloring needed in those males. You are both shining stars.

Stacy Melton

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 02:16:35 PM »
Thank you Becky!  You are so right.  It is because of those brown red breeders I was able to continue their legacy and produce some beautiful birds.  So appreciate you and your support.

Johnny Parks

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 08:36:14 PM »
Hi Stacy, Congratulations on your wins!!!  Your Brown Reds are gorgeous birds!!!  I am so happy for you!!!  :)
John 14:6

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2023, 09:09:59 AM »
Congratulations Stacy, I am glad all of your hard work is paying off. That’s an amazing fowl and I can’t think of anyone more deserving of such an accomplishment.
S.E. Michigan

Stacy Melton

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 06:58:32 PM »
Thank you Russell.  I hope to have some nice eggs for you this spring!   I should have a third pen set up this hatching season with this boy covering a few gals.   ;)