Author Topic: History Revisited?  (Read 175 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
History Revisited?
« on: December 19, 2023, 05:03:55 PM »
Those of you who read my book may remember that Dave Horman traveled with Mary and me to Columbus, Ohio, for the 1983 APA/ABA qualifying meet for Ameraucana bantams.  In fact, Dave showed the Best of Breed bantam on a White hen, one that Wayne Meredith had bred.    Some years later Dave contracted Farmers' Lung Disease, which is still with him btw, so had to sell their country home and move back to the city.  This afternoon, Dave and his wife Bonnie, visited Mary and me at our place.   Dave is 86 years old now, and they both are dealing with various medical issues - some serious.   It was a joy to catch up and reminisce a bit over coffee and Christmas treats.  Here are a few photos, a black & white one from 1983 and the rest were taken today.  Dave took home the last copy of my book and will return it after reading. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 05:10:00 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: History Revisited?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing this Mike, it warms my heart just hearing about your visit with a king time friend and fellow Ameraucana enthusiasts. If it wasn’t for the sacrifices, both time and resources you all made in developing and getting them recognized, guys like me wouldn’t be enjoying Ameraucana today. So thank you all for the dedication to see it through.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: History Revisited?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 02:15:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Mike, it warms my heart just hearing about your visit with a king time friend and fellow Ameraucana enthusiasts. If it wasn’t for the sacrifices, both time and resources you all made in developing and getting them recognized, guys like me wouldn’t be enjoying Ameraucana today. So thank you all for the dedication to see it through.

Thanks Russ.  It took a group effort. Jerry Segler was a major asset early on, and then we had volunteer secretaries when it all could have fallen apart - people like Jeannette Frank and Jeanne Trent.  And then John Blehm made major sacrifices of time, energy, and money when we needed him most.  There are others too numerous to mention, but these three
 come to mind as very early contributors.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13