Author Topic: eBay mailing eggs  (Read 3009 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
eBay mailing eggs
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »
Since the USPS hasn't cracked down on shipping, people on eBay are still selling and shipping those purty Ameraucana eggs.

http://shorl.com/tevekigrukisa

In the meantime PA radio is claiming 45 million birds dead.

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Pennsylvania agriculture officials are preparing for the possible threat of the avian (bird) flu.The latest bird flu outbreak is hitting the Midwest. So far, there have been massive losses to the poultry industry, with over 45 million dead birds.Egg prices are also soaring and in short supply in parts of the country, and it could only be a matter of time before the flu comes to Pennsylvania....bump..bumpbump.
— Kristin Mazur
WHP CBS 21 Harrisburg
Fear dread and discord...my job is done
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:36:03 PM by BrownEyes »

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
Re: eBay mailing eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:44:54 AM »
I actually contacted that Seller and politely pointed out to him that he/she didn't have true Ameraucanas and that "Blue Splash" is a misnomer.  The reply was, shall I say, less than pleasant.  Ok, they were a jerk.  Tried reporting it to eBay and they did nothing.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:54:22 AM »
Don't sweat it Royce. Ya can't fix ignorant over night.

Slightly off topic, but my personal belief/disclaimer is thus: one should fully disclose, to the best of their knowledge, whether or not their birds carry what others may consider ‘undesirable’ genes or traits. Because when push comes to shove, NO ONE is responsible for the quality of birds you have, breed, or sell... except for YOU. :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Don't sweat it Royce. Ya can't fix ignorant over night.

Slightly off topic, but my personal belief/disclaimer is thus: one should fully disclose, to the best of their knowledge, whether or not their birds carry what others may consider ‘undesirable’ genes or traits. Because when push comes to shove, NO ONE is responsible for the quality of birds you have, breed, or sell... except for YOU. :)

It reminds me of the "purity" we talked about in the Austracana article.  I've never claimed to have a pure Ameraucana and on my site I claim to have standard bred birds. 

Are your chickens standard-bred?

Yes.  The breeds and varieties of chickens are bred to represent the "standards" as outlined by the APA and ABA in their books describing the standards for recognized poultry.  They are also “pure” for most characteristics, but not necessarily “purebred” chickens.  There is no guarantee that standard-bred poultry will produce day-old chicks that will mature into “show quality” (exhibition) birds. 

When I sell a bird I feel the buyer is buying that bird, not future generations.  Maybe I'll update my FAQ page to include more on an "undesirable" genes disclaimer.

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 03:16:51 AM »
I actually contacted that Seller and politely pointed out to him that he/she didn't have true Ameraucanas and that "Blue Splash" is a misnomer.  The reply was, shall I say, less than pleasant.  Ok, they were a jerk.  Tried reporting it to eBay and they did nothing.

Who was the seller? Please email me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:10:56 AM by John W Blehm »

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
Hi Royce and Cesar, I followed up Royce's complaint.  eBay does not enforce what they put in the listing i.e. check for veracity unless you BID and said what you got was wrong.  I suspect that works more for Chanel parfum -- real thing -- than it would in a chickens where the seller is not saying APA standards.

so caveat emptor, alas
~brownie