Author Topic: perosis  (Read 3641 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
perosis
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
Someone on FB posted about perosis.  I have never experienced it but it seems to be a vitamin takeup issue.  Anyone have experience with it here?

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis/

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: perosis
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »
Which is another reason I believe in feeding a scientifically balanced commercial starter feed - it has, or should have, all the necessary nutrients and vitamins that chicks need.     I suppose it is possible there have been cases of perosis that were misdiagnosed as Marek's disease, because the apparent symptoms can be very similar.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
A lot of people these days are going to fodder for all their chickens needs. 

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/02/sprouting-grains-for-chickens-fodder.html

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »
Years ago my nephew had pheasant chicks with it.  I have a Salsbury Manual of Poultry Diseases and could tell that is what it was.  I asked what he was feeding them and he said chick starter.  He didn't know they needed a game bird starter and the problem went away once he switched to the proper feed.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:19:52 PM by John W Blehm »

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
We have 1 bird ( a 10 week old pullet) with similar symptoms.  We were concerned about Marek's but we have no other sick birds out of 150 or so.  Can you have just 1 bird with Marek's?  Maybe it is something like this or a genetic mutation prohibiting vitamin uptake?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
We have 1 bird ( a 10 week old pullet) with similar symptoms.  We were concerned about Marek's but we have no other sick birds out of 150 or so.  Can you have just 1 bird with Marek's?  Maybe it is something like this or a genetic mutation prohibiting vitamin uptake?

Yes, I would guess Marek's over Perosis if all the birds are on the same feed/conditions and only one to several out of 150 birds show those symptoms.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
Recently, from the library discard sale, I got a book published in the UK on Poultry Diseases.  On Perosis it says: 

--------------------------- Osteopetrosis (Thick Leg Disease; Osteodystrophia Fibrosa).The virus causing this condition appears to be related to that causing lymphoid leucosis. Itis characterized by increased osteoblastic activity in birds about 2 - 3 months old and is more common in the male than in the female. The long bones of the extre­mities, especially the metatarsi, are thickened, deformed, and take on a boot-like appearance, which is characteristic of the disease (Fig. 5). The affected portions are hot and insensitive. The disease is slowly progressive and ends fatally in about two months . It is transmitted from chicken to chicken and / or from turkey to  chicken.The lesions can be distinguished from those of rickets because the bone is defor­med without thickening, whilst in rickets the keel bone is often bent).  In perosis there is also a twisting and flattening of the hock joint.

I gave up trying to upload the shot...Look over here.   https://flic.kr/p/BPomYa
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:22:30 PM by BrownEyes »

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
I don't believe I ever have seen an affected bird.  Guess I've been fortunate. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 08:47:49 PM »
I ran into this again....seems it happened in Northwestern states/Western Canada because they use they used dolomitic limestone instead of Oyster Shell for calcium for hens.  It can also happen if you give birds a lot of epsom salts -- another high in magnesium product.