Author Topic: First pullet eggs of the year  (Read 5476 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
First pullet eggs of the year
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »
My oldest pullets are 23 weeks old today and I found my first eggs of the year from some today.  I generally don't check the coops with just pullets daily and as I passed by one with bantam lavenders three small blue eggs caught my eye.  The earliest I remember any eggs from Ameraucana pullets was 14 weeks, so they should be laying or starting by now.  I just think it is odd that out of 7 varieties of Ameraucanas the bantam lavenders would lead the way.  ;)

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
Re: First pullet eggs of the year
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
Nice congrats !

What is the average age of laying for you large fowl and bantams?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
I've never kept track, but I did get two more eggs from the bantam lavender pullets today.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »
I have also noticed they hatch earlier than the other varieties I raise also. Actually they generally finish out earlier also. I am curious if the Large Fowl also have the same tendencies that I have noticed with the Bantams?
S.E. Michigan

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »
I suspect all bantams mature slightly faster than large fowl, no? But then I've never had bantam anything...no, wait, that's not true. There was a silkie once upon a time. For the kids of course. ;) He was a feisty little fella too. lol

So John, what variety is it you're missing? Seven outta eight is pretty sweet!  8)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 10:47:41 AM »
My oldest pullets are 23 weeks old today and I found my first eggs of the year from some today.  I generally don't check the coops with just pullets daily and as I passed by one with bantam lavenders three small blue eggs caught my eye.  The earliest I remember any eggs from Ameraucana pullets was 14 weeks, so they should be laying or starting by now.  I just think it is odd that out of 7 varieties of Ameraucanas the bantam lavenders would lead the way.  ;)

Somebody had to step up and do it..lol...now you made me go look for pink in my 18 week old silver pullets...I think it adds an extra 2 weeks when you do that...

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:04 PM »
So John, what variety is it you're missing? Seven outta eight is pretty sweet!  8)
It's seven out of 16.   There are eight in bantams and eight in large fowl.   I have five of the 16, and four of those are bantams as I prefer them by far.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
It's seven out of 16.   There are eight in bantams and eight in large fowl.   I have five of the 16, and four of those are bantams as I prefer them by far.

There was a time when I had all 16 recognized varieties at the same time. 

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »
A bantam buff pullet laid her first egg today.  The LF are losing this race.

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »

Right! Mike, may I ask why you prefer the bantams? I enjoy my large fowl immensely, but think a bantam variety would be nice to have as well as they'd be much easier for our seven year old son to handle. Finding some up here might be a bit trickier though...
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »

There was a time when I had all 16 recognized varieties at the same time.

High five!!!  8)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »
That's the reason I started raising Bantams Lee. My daughter takes after my wife who is only 4'9". Large Fowl are just to big for her to handle properly. I am becoming partial to them for the fact they eat less and take up way less room. Seems the cockerels tend to have Napoleon syndrome in some of the varieties though. Especially after they have been in the breeding pens. Lavenders tend to be the most docile out of the varieties I personally raise. I don't ever remember a mean cockerel in the bunch, now the Silvers ugh are another story 😒
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:39:49 PM »
Right! Mike, may I ask why you prefer the bantams? I enjoy my large fowl immensely, but think a bantam variety would be nice to have as well as they'd be much easier for our seven year old son to handle. Finding some up here might be a bit trickier though...

First, you can keep more of them in the same amount of space.   If you get the right lines, their egg producing efficiency per lb of feed will equal or surpass most large fowl.  They are easier to handle, and that translates to easier coop training.   They don't make as much waste and mess, so cleaning is less frequent.   On the down side, they don't seem to winter as well under harsh conditions  because of less body mass.   Maybe it is a matter of personal preference more than anything else.  I started with bantams first, so have always been partial to them.   That said, I do like my LF Brown Reds and Chanteclers. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:43:03 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
Thanks Russ, thanks Mike.  :) That makes perfect sense. I'm going to see where I'm at space wise come fall, than maybe see about finding a nice bantam pair for our son. I don't provide heat during winter, preferring the birds to acclimatize naturally to our winters, so that might not work out in our favour. Maybe the perfect excuse for a new coop too.  ;)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
Thanks Russ, thanks Mike.  :) That makes perfect sense. I'm going to see where I'm at space wise come fall, than maybe see about finding a nice bantam pair for our son. I don't provide heat during winter, preferring the birds to acclimatize naturally to our winters, so that might not work out in our favour. Maybe the perfect excuse for a new coop too.  ;)

Bantams have always been my favorites, for many of the reasons listed.  Most of my bantam buffs roost outside year round and the last couple winters have been extra cold and snowy here. 
There were several times this past winter when I would take the off the outside roost and put them inside.  Some got the idea and others just went back out.