Author Topic: Ambiguous Lavender  (Read 2230 times)

Michelle Ogden

Ambiguous Lavender
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »
Well, my lavender pullet that appeared to have split wing, is now finishing up with her molt and no longer has the split-wing look. However.... Now that more feathers are in, I'm thinking she might be a HE. Does that look like a lone, pointy saddle feather?? The comb has three rows, but has always been sooo small, I just assumed it was a pullet.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Re: Ambiguous Lavender
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
I was hoping someone else would weigh in, because I second guess myself even in person, but I'm going to say pullet.
Beth Curran

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »
Im going to say female

Michelle Ogden

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:51:26 AM »
More pointy feathers showing up every day. I'm feeling like I may have to call it a male... Crazy how small the comb is! Guess he'll be useful to cross with any females with large combs!

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 01:48:47 PM »
More pointy feathers showing up every day. I'm feeling like I may have to call it a male... Crazy how small the comb is! Guess he'll be useful to cross with any females with large combs!

The photos are too small for me to tell, but more pointy ones every day tell the story.  I have a white one that I couldn't tell about either.  Yesterday I took him in hand and could see the pointy saddle feathers.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
I think I'm seeing pointed hackle feathers too.  If that is the case, it is a cockerel for sure.  Combs are not reliable as an indicator in young birds.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13