Author Topic: Losing color in feathers  (Read 3740 times)

The Malcolms

• Associate
Losing color in feathers
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
We have 2 BW and 2 W hens (all bantams) we purchased as older pullets last fall.  They all had beautiful color and dark primaries and tails.  One W was best of breed several times and her only fault is she may be a bit fluffy.  As they have molted this fall their tails and wings are almost solid wheaten.  You really have to look for the black or blue.  Is this a diet thing?  Is it just part of the variety?  Their off-spring from this year are very well colored.  Any advice is helpful...

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Losing color in feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »
I would have to say that is fairly common among wheaten and blue wheaten females.    With males, they sometimes get red / brown blotches in the chest.
The best advice I can give is to breed from only two years or older birds that retain reasonably good color after their adult molt - which is a good practice on a number of levels.   Royce, have you seen this in your large fowl?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »
We have 2 BW and 2 W hens (all bantams) we purchased as older pullets last fall.  They all had beautiful color and dark primaries and tails.  One W was best of breed several times and her only fault is she may be a bit fluffy.  As they have molted this fall their tails and wings are almost solid wheaten.  You really have to look for the black or blue.  Is this a diet thing?  Is it just part of the variety?  Their off-spring from this year are very well colored.  Any advice is helpful...

I don't remember that happening or being a problem, but maybe I didn't pay close enough attention to individual birds.  I know with bantam buff females the nice buff color of a pullet is generally washed out looking on hens.  I thought the black feathers of a mature wheaten would stay black or very close to it with each molt.

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 02:41:55 AM »
That's a good question, Mike, but right now I can't really tell you because all my birds are still coming out of a molt.  Up to this point I haven't kept any females past the 2yr point.  I'm straining my mind here trying to think and I can't recall that specifically.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
That's a good question, Mike, but right now I can't really tell you because all my birds are still coming out of a molt.  Up to this point I haven't kept any females past the 2yr point.  I'm straining my mind here trying to think and I can't recall that specifically.

I suspect there are quite a few folks out there whose policy it is to only keep hens a year or two, so they don't see the change.   It happens.  This is why I have always recommended examining the undercolor on the backs of wheaten and blue wheaten females.   Those that show gray in the undercolor are more likely to retain more color in the tail and wings after the molt.  I believe I have mentioned that numerous times in the past. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:46:33 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:29:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for this helpful information.  Our birds have the luxury of never leaving once they arrive here.  The boys are very picky about giving up breeding stock.  They are just starting to rehome chicks we hatch...😜😜.  After another look 2 of the 4 hens have some color left although they have other faults but no DQ's.  We will breed from these in the spring when they are 2 yrs. and see what we get.  Thanks again, the Malcolms

Tailfeathers

• College
  • Breeder & Exhibitor of WBS Ameraucanas since 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »
Thanks Mike!  I appreciate you mentioning that.  I've not seen it before and will definitely keep that in mind now.
God Bless,

R. E. Van Blaricome
Seek Ye first the Kingdom of God, and all His Righteousness
- then these things shall be added unto you (Matt. 6:33)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
Our birds have the luxury of never leaving once they arrive here.  The boys are very picky about giving up breeding stock.  They are just starting to rehome chicks we hatch...

I can relate! Fuzz argues with me over every bird, but I've told him if we keep them all we can't hatch anymore. He has agreed to let you guys have a silver bantam cockerel, though, if you still need one. I was hoping I could offer a pullet as well, but I got all of TWO this year. Same ratio in whites.  ???
Beth Curran

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »
Beth, it is so nice to have someone to commiserate with!  I sent an email to you...  See you in Indiana.

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »
UPDATE...just wanted to share that these same hens have molted again this spring and their black and blue have returned to their tail and wing feathers.  We will breed from them again and see how their offspring turn out.

Shari Nees

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Mine free range, so they can become sun faded.  Also found diet can play a big part on how good their feathers look.

In the winter and for young birds, I have to bump their feed up to 28% protein. Once they are eating bugs in summer, I back it down to about 21% protein.