Author Topic: Brown Reds and Crosses  (Read 18125 times)

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Brown Reds and Crosses
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:02 PM »
My first thought was Brown (eb) due to what I thought looked like the "helmet pattern".  Then I noticed a bit of an eye line and thought maybe wildtype (e+).  The back stripes could be attributed to either.  I'll study it in hand and try it come up with an educated guess.  I'll raise the chick for a while.
This must be what Holly posted about back on the 1st page of this topic.
My cockerels are descended from a male from you also, so at least one of them and this one pullet/hen carry whatever it is.  I'm now only using the larger of my two cockerels over her so maybe I won't get more like this chick...maybe I will.  She was laying 5 to 6 eggs per week and just decided to take a break.

John, that chick down color is the same as what I used to get.  It is what Buff Columbian chicks look like, or very similar.   Jim Fegan got these too.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
The pullet I posted a photo of back in post #46 is now about 6+ old and looking great.  I weighed her a couple weeks ago and she was 4.5 pounds and laying a nicely colored blue egg. 

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
The pullet I posted a photo of back in post #46 is now about 6+ old and looking great.  I weighed her a couple weeks ago and she was 4.5 pounds and laying a nicely colored blue egg.

Bring her to Portage?  I would like to take a look if you are not going to use her.  Did she get her tail picked out at one point?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:12:25 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »

Bring her to Portage?  I would like to take a look if you are not going to use her.  Did she get her tail picked out at one point?

She can stay in WI at your place, if you want her, after the show.  She has a nice full tail I believe, but just doesn't hold it up where it should be.  I'll show the best cockerel also, but he has too much lacing going down in his breast.

When I searched for photos, on line, of brown red chickens I found one of some of my bantams from years ago on a Pinterest site.