Author Topic: Bantam Red Ameraucanas  (Read 5570 times)

Laurie Ashley

• Lifetime Member
Re: Bantam Red Ameraucanas
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 03:49:47 PM »
yep.. we want to create a true Mahogany red bantam Ameraucana.  We have bantam Buckeyes.  We need to get a couple of wheaten pullets of good type and breed forward from that.  Unless anyone else is already working on a Mahogany project, in which case, can we pick your brain on how to get started with them? I am not a big fan of hubbys Buckeyes... and what he likes about them best is the lovely lustrous deep mahogany red, with the slate underbar.  So if I can dress an Ameraucana in that, YES PLEASE :D

Johnny Parks

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 10:12:49 PM »
Last year, I made a hybrid red cross from mating a male Buff Ameraucana bantam to a RIR bantam female.  To show the varying color shades, I've taken a photo of the RIR bantam hen, the hybrid red pullet in the middle that was produced from the cross and a buff ameraucana hen for comparison.  The second picture is of three hybrid young hens that I've selected to continue this red project.  Fortunately, they lay blue eggs, have slate legs and are semi-bearded and muffed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:58:38 AM by Johnny Parks »
John 14:6

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 10:25:58 AM »
Johnny it looks like you are making great progress. They are looking real good from what I am seeing.
S.E. Michigan