Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 3743 times)

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
Snakes
« on: October 02, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
Has anyone else noticed more snakes than usual this year? This has been a topic of discussion in local groups, and I have seen more this year than in the previous 16 that we have lived here combined. Knock on wood, all have been non-venomous. They seem to stake out a territory and smaller venomous snakes avoid them, and for that reason I cut them a lot of slack, but I have a serious snake phobia. I've worked on it a lot, I'm better than I used to be, but last night this little sucker took it too far - it dropped dropped from above, even the thought of which sends me into orbit. It was apparently sleeping on top of the door I opened, so I doubt I made his night either. I have heard various wives tales about how to deter them, everything from moth balls to human hair. Shotgun is out, coop has too many holes in it already. Short of starting a ferret colony, anyone have any suggestions?
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Snakes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Move father north.  Sorry, just had to say it.  I too have a big problem with them, but no more than usual around here.  I generally turn away even when I see them on TV.  As a kid I would do a jig when I saw one.  I have nightmares about them, so one actually falling down from above would drive me crazy. 
Years ago Mary Jo Keith, from Crossville, TN, bought several buff bantams from me and told me stories about the snakes down there.  They would go right into the nest boxes...too much for me to handle. 
We have mostly garter snakes around here and even though I'm told they eat mosquitoes I'd rather not have to see them around.

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
Sounds to me you need to call up Turtle Man 😃. I would much rather deal with snakes than spiders or ticks. Before I had children I used to have a 8' Boa and 12' Python. Both of which were eating rabbits at the time. Since Babies and Rabbits are not to different in size the snakes had to go. Oh back to topic, I haven't notice any more than usual. Actually I have not seen any this year?? Maybe the chickens have been eating them 😃
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »
A few months ago I had a little one in a nest box. As terrified as I am of them I had to laugh, because it had an egg half in half out of it's mouth, and looked up at me as if to say "Oooh, this is not good..." By the time his day returned to normal he'd spit out my egg. Wonder if other snakes will believe his abduction story, or if they'll avoid him because he's weird?  ;D
Beth Curran

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
I'm a ways south of you and I have  not seen any...I think they all went go north for a cooler summer....lol.....I've only seen one in the last two years..he was a dead copper head on the road.. I am part Irish too...maybe that helps??

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »
I wish being Irish helped, lol! Maybe I need a statue of St. Patrick in the yard?
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:41:44 PM »
I wish being Irish helped, lol! Maybe I need a statue of St. Patrick in the yard?

Don't bother...someone would probably steal it. ;)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »
My Aunt Mary,  in Southern Arkansas (near the Louisiana border) has mentioned that she often had a  larger than normal, a  plague of snakes. She's in Nebraska now and she things no "fool critter" would go there so she hasn't seen any.  But when we had the discussion over the summer  her recommendation, and the only one she saw work, was this...screening with very fine mesh.  All other methods, she had tried and it had proved unsuccessful.  She was recommending this when I was discussing putting the chicks I got from FS out in the yard.  Even though NePA does not have a real problem with snakes, she recommended being safe rather than sorry.

http://www.wikihow.com/Rattlesnake-Proof-a-Backyard

Brownie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 06:49:33 PM by BrownEyes »

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
screening with very fine mesh

That's what I keep hearing, too. I'm working on that around the house, but as open as the coops are they are going to be more of a challenge. And it has to be a fine hardware cloth, if it's big enough they can push through it they do this (look away, John ;) ):

Beth Curran

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
Is that a Rat Snake?? If they are after mice you could try and eliminate the food source (mice) and that may help.
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »
Yep. Green rats, which we seem to have the most of, are particularly stupid. As I mentioned, I am petrified of snakes, but these things are so dumb it's hard not to feel sorry for them. We have a saying around here: You can tell what kind of snake it is by the head. If it's triangular, it's poisonous. If it's round, it's not. And if it's STUCK, it's a green rat. This hapless fellow fared better than some, thanks to some buddies of mine who are into snakes and graciously extricated it (and took it with them!) Thank heavens for Shari - this always happens when Mike is gone.

Mice are definitely a problem, they tunnel into the dirt floors to get the feed the chickens spill. Frogs and lizards are everywhere, and chickens lay eggs so I have the trifecta!  :o

Beth Curran