Author Topic: Ceramic nest eggs  (Read 9358 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
Re: Ceramic nest eggs
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:32 AM »
Going to have to mark them so I quit bringing them in when I collect eggs....

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »
Lol, I didn't even think about that but you're right! ;D
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
I used a Sharpie and drew a happy face on one.  I try to use the green ones in the brown egg layer nests.  There are a few pink and purple ones that I use in the Ameraucana nests.  When my grandkids collected eggs, while we were in Indiana, they took home at least one artificial egg and I haven't seen it since.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »
They passed the final test ...I have a pullet that hasn't laid that is trying to go broody on them!...lol

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
I am ready to put them in to promote some egg production. Mine are still being stubborn. Lights have been on 2 weeks, everybody's combs are bright red. I need some LF eggs to set for Nationals SOON lol.
S.E. Michigan

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
I am ready to put them in to promote some egg production. Mine are still being stubborn. Lights have been on 2 weeks, everybody's combs are bright red. I need some LF eggs to set for Nationals SOON lol.

LOL, Russ, maybe you need some brown red LF.  They have been bred for production.  The only two pullets I saved from 2015 have been laying well over a month now.   Their eggs are smallish, but have nice color.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:20 PM »
I definitely need to start moving in that direction Mike. Egg production that is, a new variety might put my wife over the edge. I have to admit its easy for me to get focused on one or two areas I want to improve. Then notice I lose in other areas, I think we discussed that behavior at the Q&A time at Nationals. Don't get me wrong once my Blues and Silver LF start they lay 4-5 eggs each a week consistently. So production is decent the slow to mature may be the issue? There is always something to improve that's what keeps it fun. Or just maybe I need some nice Brown Reds??? Oh no look what you have done now 😖
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »
I used a Sharpie and drew a happy face on one.  I try to use the green ones in the brown egg layer nests.  There are a few pink and purple ones that I use in the Ameraucana nests.  When my grandkids collected eggs, while we were in Indiana, they took home at least one artificial egg and I haven't seen it since.

You'll get a call when someone tries to either eat it or candle it!  ;D
Beth Curran

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 10:16:04 AM »
I got a few from Tractor Supply.  Horribly expensive there, but I wanted to try it.  The big downside to these ceramic babes are that they get dirty very quickly.  Luckily Egg Cleanser does a good job with them.

Brownie.

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
I recently added a cock who turned out to be an egg eater. It was immensely satisfying to watch him repeatedly slam his beak into that egg, hard enough I was sure he would break one or the other. A few hours later I collected the first eggs of the season from that pen. Ceramic egg 1, bird 0!

Congratulations.
When I know which is eating the eggs I also use a toenail trimmer and clip off the point of their upper beaks.  I think that with the ceramic eggs gives them even more reason to give up.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:44:06 AM by John W Blehm »
Beth Curran

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 07:24:58 PM »
Congratulations.
When I know which is eating the eggs I also use a toenail trimmer and clip off the point of their upper beaks.  I think that with the ceramic eggs gives them even more reason to give up.

We never made it that far. I tossed the ceramic egg in to see who would show interest, and he immediately launched into a frenzied attack that gave me a headache just watching. Hasn't touched an egg since. Mwahaha!
Beth Curran

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
I still have several dozen of these ceramic nest eggs available to club members for $8 per dozen and they fit in a $5.80 flat rate box. 

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »
I bet they would sell at the club table in Lebanon!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
Love them, they look just like the real thing. Linda

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 08:01:50 PM »
 I'll take a dozen. I'll send a check made out to FS I guess?
thanks