Author Topic: Duck foot, let's talk about it?  (Read 2579 times)

Christina King

Duck foot, let's talk about it?
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:13:38 PM »
Talk to me, blue band was DQ'd in virtual show... Green band and blue band were my chosen breeders. I'm feeling frustrated.
Silvers make my Heart beat faster ~~~

Christina King

Re: Duck foot, let's talk about it?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
More pics

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
That one could go either way depending on the judge.   Make sure the rear toes on your breeding  females go back, not sideways like this guy.  If he is real good otherwise I would take a chance and use him with the right females.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:31:00 PM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Chris emailed the photos to me the other day asking for my comments.  My comment was similar to Mike's.
I don’t think I’ve seen duck-foot in any of my birds in years.  If your biggest and blackest breasted male has duck-foot I would use him for one season.  If a sex-linked dwarf gene is causing LF silvers to be too small you want to breed from the largest male available, so you don’t lose the gains in size that have been made.

Stan,
Have you seen duck-foot in the LF silvers you received from me?

Christina King

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
Green Band is larger, just has more speckles on chest. Orange band is growing like crazy and has the least speckles, and is two months younger. Orange is not as closely related, as he is from my pens from this spring. Andbi have one more even younger coming along. So Blue Band does not have to be used...

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
I have not seen it...I was telling Chris that I have some with what seems to me to be shorter back toes and I think that may contribute to the perception...????

Patti Jordan

• JPS Poultry
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
I also had a Blue Wheaten Pullet just recently DQed in a Virtual Show for Duck Foot.  She is standing on a pitched roof that may give the appearance of duck foot but I'd really would like some feedback from others on her.   This DQ is new for me, so I'd love to learn more about it.  Thanks for any feedback

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
Patti, the right foot is not duck footed, and it is impossible to tell about the left foot in that photo.   I don't think the judge should have d.q.'ed your bird based on that photo alone. 
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Patti Jordan

• JPS Poultry
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
Thanks Mike, I really questioned the judges decision on this bird, but he's the judge :-)