Author Topic: BBS terminology?  (Read 3182 times)

Cesar Villegas

• Associate
BBS terminology?
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
So most of us know that the term BBS (Blue,Black and Splash) is used a lot these days. I posted a statement on one of the Facebook groups. The post said "A friendly reminder that BBS is not one color" thats all i posted

I did this because i was annoyed by people calling their blue bird (singular) BBS, instead of blue. People were very upset and faught me on this one. I have a feeling its usually done by novice and new breeders. i explain that constantly breeding the three varieties together without a plan will cause inconsistent offspring, and breeding the different varieties is acceptable when trying to improve a trait. Or if color (a) rooster is producing good colored offspring with hen (b) and this can only be done with test mating.

One person told me then what do you call offspring of a Blue x Blue mating? I told her personally I would call them blue with a chance of getting black or splash, because there was a 50% chance of blue coming out and the parents were blue. Am i right or wrong on this one?

So what do we call the offspring of Blue x Blue mating?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: BBS terminology?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
So what do we call the offspring of Blue x Blue mating?

I call them by whatever phenotype they hatch as...blue, black or splash.  If talking about eggs from blue to blue, I would just say the eggs are from a blue to blue mating or blue over blue mating.
Since we all use abbreviations from time to time I try to not be too critical when I see roo and other abbreviations that I don't use, but BBS just tells me someone is crossing varieties that is probably a novice and isn't a knowledgeable breeder.  Education with diplomacy is the key.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:28:11 PM by John W Blehm »

Gina Neta

• Associate
Re: BBS terminology?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 08:06:36 PM »
I have been getting a lot of well intentioned friends forwarding me information about chicken sweaters, diapers, swings, and leashes.  You heard me right - for CHICKENS.  Generally I ignore these suggestions.  Understanding people have chickens for their own reasons, and some choose to raise them like pampered pets.  And that's great!  But at the other end of the spectrum some people keep them and use them as livestock.  I do have my favorites but am closer to the 'livestock' end of the spectrum while providing a very nice chicken-life for them.  Without sweaters or leashes.  I think just understanding and accepting there is a wide range of experience, knowledge, and purpose for chickens helps increase tolerance.  Certainly when advice or an opinion is requested is when opportunity knocks......