Author Topic: Hatching eggs for sale  (Read 3205 times)

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
Hatching eggs for sale
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »
I am getting a lot of requests for fertile eggs even though the Breeders Directory does not list me.  I do not mind sharing with fellow AA members.  In fact, I have asked for them from my AA friends on several occasions, and have given them to others.  As much as I want to promote the breed, it just doesn't make sense for me to bother with them for casual inquirers that I don't know.  Here is the reply I've started to send rather than a quick, "I do not sell hatching eggs."  How do you think it sounds?

I know its hard to find a source of quality Ameraucana hatching eggs.  The problem is that it requires the purchase of a shipping box and packing material.  Then each egg has to be packed very carefully and the package taken to the post office. Even when the eggs are sold at $20 a dozen plus shipping cost, the effort to get them sent out hardly justifies the time spent for many of us.  Then, given the uncontrollable variables once the package leaves our hands, and the typical low hatch rates of mailed eggs, we risk alienating the customer and damaging our good reputation as a responsible breeder.  I just wanted to try to explain why you are having a difficult time securing hatching eggs.

Have you checked the Breeders Directory on the Ameraucana Alliance website?

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Hatching eggs for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
Duane,

I would probably omit or edit the part about the money "hardy justifies the time..." and what you have to do and focus on the "uncontrollable variables", "alienating the customer" and "good reputation" parts.  I haven't sold hatching eggs in years for those last reasons you mention and keeping a good reputation was the major reason.  Don't tell anyone, but there are just a couple or so long time members that I've sent some to and received from for special projects.  When asked for hatching eggs, my answer is fairly short saying I don't offer them followed by I do offer day-old chicks.  Seldom does anyone ask for the details as to why I don't sell the eggs, although I have it on the FAQ page of my Fowl Stuff site. 
There can be problems with day-old chicks too, but those problems arise in transit and neither I or the customer can be blamed (normally).

Schroeder

• Associate
    • Schroeder Poultry
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
Thanks, John.  That is good advice and I agree.  I also received a helpful response from a member via email.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »
I often quote Johnny Mercer...You gotta Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
I often quote Johnny Mercer...You gotta Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative.

Which is why I only ship started birds (and adults) because a lot can go wrong with day-olds too, granted not as much as with shipped eggs , but seldom if ever does anything go wrong with a shipment of started birds.   With five to six week old birds, the weaklings and obvious rejects have already been eliminated, and genders can be determined with a high degree of accuracy - especially with fast feathering chicks.  A typical order for me is two trios, or two males and three females.   
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 08:11:10 AM »
I don't sell eggs, either. I felt bad enough last year when I gave some to a friend and he was out the money for postage when they didn't hatch.
Beth Curran

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
You might suggest that day old chicks are a much better buy than a dozen hatching eggs that are killed in transit...

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
Chicks are definitely a better way to go compared to shipped eggs. But like Mike said started birds is the best way in my opinion. You have a better idea what you will end up with. Now with that I do sell hatching eggs for a couple reasons. Some people can't afford chicks and shipping of started birds. Hatching eggs give them the opportunity to still get a start with Ameraucana. Secondly I am a very small scale Hobby farmer so I tend to sell out quickly. So hatching eggs may be the only thing I have available. Now when I do sell them I do it at a price that I feel is fair. I only sell them for $16 per dozen plus shipping. Which runs from $6-$10 plus I add the cost of box,bubble wrap etc. For me to package a dozen or two of eggs it takes me about an hour. So I don't really make anything on shipped eggs. For me it's more about getting more Ameraucana out into the hands of poultry enthusiasts. I will admit though every year I say I am done doing it, then in spring the phone calls come and I do it again. I have seriously been thinking this may be my last year offering to the general public though. I may just start selling exclusively to AA members, or to people that join the AA. It may give people more of an incentive to join? Now I am starting to rant so there's my 2cents 😃
S.E. Michigan