Author Topic: DIY Hatcher  (Read 11475 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
DIY Hatcher
« on: January 17, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
Allright since winter is finally here in SE Michigan and it is now to cold outside for much. I am debating building myself a 3 tray hatcher. It will be based on dimensions similar to a Dickey. Mainly because my incubator came with a hatching tray I never use. Plus they sell metal hatching trays with lids for $36, so I only need 2 more to make it 3 tray. Now for your input, I found a proportional thermostat, heater and fan kit for $190 roughly with 2 fans. Has anybody ever used these or know of anybody ?? Here's the link
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/incukit-xl.html
I think I can build it with hatching trays, hardware, plywood etc for around $350. Which is $300 cheaper than what the Dickey 5 tray hatcher sells for. Not including the shipping etc.
Second question, they suggest mounting on the top pointing down? To me it would make more sense to mount on the back. Pointing toward the front with the humidity pan in front of them? That's how my Dickey and the GQF are set up I believe? Just seems you would circulate air better that way. Oh it will be made out of plywood and painted with an exterior white paint I have left over from rental house. Any input and suggestions welcome, who knows if the hatcher works out next year it may be a setter DIY project lol
S.E. Michigan

Dennis Heltzel

Re: DIY Hatcher
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
I'm about to embark on a similar project. I just finished a setter that I patterned after my 1202 but used 6 trays instead of 3 (it's 48" tall, rather than 30"). I bought a lot of the parts from Dickeys.

I bought some used hatching baskets from Hawkhead. They are 17x48. I was going to make a hatcher of those dimensions, but that seems too big, so I'm going to try to cut one and make 2, 17x24 baskets, then build the hatcher around that with 4 of the smaller baskets.

My main concern is that it is easy to clean, my current hatcher is a breeze to clean and I would really miss that if I can't get this one clean.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
I'm about to embark on a similar project. I just finished a setter that I patterned after my 1202 but used 6 trays instead of 3 (it's 48" tall, rather than 30"). I bought a lot of the parts from Dickeys.

I bought some used hatching baskets from Hawkhead. They are 17x48. I was going to make a hatcher of those dimensions, but that seems too big, so I'm going to try to cut one and make 2, 17x24 baskets, then build the hatcher around that with 4 of the smaller baskets.

My main concern is that it is easy to clean, my current hatcher is a breeze to clean and I would really miss that if I can't get this one clean.

They are probably the same hatch baskets I bought from Hawkhead also.  Photos of the hatchers I built around them are in the topic the link, below, points to.  I can post more photos and dimensions if requested.  http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=130.0

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »
I like that them hatch baskets are plastic instead of Galvanized metal. John do they have lids for them? Or did you just space them so the basket above serves as a lid concept? Being plastic would make them easy to sanitize and last longer I bet?
S.E. Michigan

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
I spaced them, but they are designed to stack on top one another and that would be an easier way to go.  When we toured McMurray I noticed they cut one down to use as a cover for the top basket of a stack of them so the chicks couldn't get out.

http://www.hatcheryequipment.com/hatcher_j.html

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:11:49 AM »
Several years ago, I came across a good deal on three GQF cabinets. Two incubators and a hatcher. All electronic thermostats with wafer backup. They were originally designed for ostrich/emu eggs. I bought them for $200 each. They had only been used once before the market on emu fell through. I cleaned them up and cut the windows in the doors. They have worked flawlessly every year.

As they age, I plan to build my own replacements using materials similar or the same as Johns. The dimensions will be pretty close to the GQF's. I may make them slightly taller to allow for one more rack. The new hatcher will be lined with LED lights on the inside for better viewing. I like this thermostat as well. Not that it's necessary but just for the added "bling".  ;)  http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=32&zenid=pgiega0tjtmasdsnvpi0ugbtb4l

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
The controller is the same brand I used.  I don't think that model was available when I built a few years ago.
Whether GQF or homemade, I suggest not using the GQF style electronic thermostats inside Hatcher cabinets (OK inside Setter cabinets).  All the down/fuzz from the chicks gets into the units, thru little vent holes, and they don't last.  Use compressed air to blow them out occasionally.  They are expensive to keep replacing.  Switch over to wafers or go with a controller that mounts outside the cabinet.  Just my opinion from my experience with them. 

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
Good advice, I'm always going with external controllers. I believe that the temp control on hatchers does not need to be as accurate as on setters, is that true in your opinion?

I'm thinking about integrating an air filter of some sort on the hatcher. It would be coarse (not a HEPA-type, that would reduce the airflow). I pulled the plastic grid air filter from a dehumidifier I was throwing away. That looks like it would be perfect for catching chick dander without blocking the air flow too much. Has anyone tried filters in a hatcher? The fact that commercial ones don't have filters gives me pause.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
Since I only have the room for one larger unit, I'm running my Dickey cabinet model with just a wafer thermostat.    The electronic job went bad after one year of use, so it is disabled.   I do keep a replacement wafer on hand "just in case" but so far it has worked out fine.    I had purchased one of those reptile incubators for a hatcher, but need to build some covered hatching trays for it.  I was disappointed with its' lack of egg holding capacity, but it was on sale for only about $100 so am not out much.  I may yet try it out this season.  I thought about using a filter but did not try it, as I don't think the wafer thermostats are much affected by the fine dust anyway.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:55:30 AM by Mike Gilbert »
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
Good advice, I'm always going with external controllers. I believe that the temp control on hatchers does not need to be as accurate as on setters, is that true in your opinion?

I'm thinking about integrating an air filter of some sort on the hatcher. It would be coarse (not a HEPA-type, that would reduce the airflow). I pulled the plastic grid air filter from a dehumidifier I was throwing away. That looks like it would be perfect for catching chick dander without blocking the air flow too much. Has anyone tried filters in a hatcher? The fact that commercial ones don't have filters gives me pause.

Dennis,

I wouldn't restrict the air flow at all with a filter or grille that dust/dander could buildup on.  If your hatcher is in the house and the dust is a problem I suggest a separate air filtration/purifying system in the room near the hatcher.

Dennis Heltzel

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 10:38:49 PM »
That's a good point. I inadvertently had some clogged air flow on my current hatcher. I was using 1/2" HW cloth to hold the element and dual fans. The duct actually clogged the 1/2" holes. I now realize I need to take the time to blow out the dust every few hatches.

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »
I have been experimenting the last few years with different materials for hatching tray liners. Leaving just the 1/4" wire mesh works but the cleanup after hatch is much worse with all that falls through the trays to the bottom. Paper towels keep it cleaner but they are too slick. I started getting chicks with spraddled legs. I ordered some of the GQF tray liners and they aren't much better than paper towels. They are kinda like the old paper grocery sacks.

The best thing I have found to work is shelf and drawer liners. You can cut them to fit and they give the chicks excellent footing. No more spraddle legs. They are machine washable so I just throw them in the washer after the hatch. I'll put the GQF liners under them until I use them up. They do help to keep the trays cleaner.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 05:12:52 PM »
I don't want to sound negative, but I would be concerned about cutting down on air flow with the liners.  I see you have cutouts in the ends of the trays/baskets to help provide movement of air, but I believe you need more movement coming up from below the eggs so the bottoms of the eggs aren't warmer than the tops. 
Consider the designs of all the egg trays for setters and hatch baskets for commercial hatchers.  They provide maximum movement of air, without trapping it and yet support the eggs and chicks.
I think your shelf & drawer liners may work well in brooders for the first few days.

Max Strawn

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
I thought about the air flow issue but I figured if GQF was selling the paper liners then they must not be too concerned with it. I used the drawer liners by themselves all of last year without any problems. They are very porous like a heavy mesh. If I see any issues that may be related to air flow then I will stop using the paper liners. They just make cleanup a lot easier.

My suspicions were confirmed last night as I removed this weeks batch from the hatcher. There were no chicks with spraddled legs. The last four batches had at least three chicks each with the issue. Also, I didn't see any ill effects from using the paper liner under the drawer liner.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
They are very porous like a heavy mesh.
I couldn't see that from the other photo.
I've used the "DACB (Deotized Animal Cage Board)" drop pan liners in my table top brooder, but didn't know they were also selling it to use in their hatch trays.