Author Topic: Fox in the Hen House  (Read 2859 times)

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
Fox in the Hen House
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
I LITERALLY had a fox in the hen-house this morning!
Damage was minimum as I ran out partially dressed with rifle in hand.  No, I missed the little bugger so the unharmed birds are locked up and the one I was going to take to show this weekend is recovering in a single cage in the garage missing many feathers and bleeding slightly.  I hope she makes it.
This is war!  I can handle the coyotes, they make nice rugs.  I can handle the red tailed hawks - my adults are too big for them.  But now I have fox jumping over the fence and a great horned owl who took 2 in as many weeks.  Where do I get good netting to enclose about 50' x 100' ?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:28:36 AM by Denise Baker »
Paradise Found

Lee G

• Associate
Re: Fox in the Hen House
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »
Yikes!!! A fox is never a good thing to find during morning chores. Wish you could have gotten the culprit. Because it'll likely be back again...and soon...so I'd keep the rifle handy!

And I'm sorry about your hen. It sucks she won't be able to go to the show this weekend, but I'm sure she will make a full recovery with time and care. Chickens are such hardy creatures. Wishing you all the best.  :)
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
Where do I get good netting to enclose about 50' x 100' ?

Google "game bird netting" and you will find many sources, including Cutler Supply.   It always happens to the best ones!
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
Luckily I was on a site and Mark & I were debating the pros & cons of this over 500 dollar system and just before I hit buy I thought "Why not call a local I respect and has the best system I've ever seen for advice?".  I know him because I am a NPIP State tester and do his Turkey & Pheasant farm yearly. I tell you I am blessed!  He's getting out of it and selling his setup!  I told him not to bother taking it to the swap meet.  I will take it from his farm, just name his price!
Paradise Found

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »
Where do I get good netting to enclose about 50' x 100' ?
My bother raises Pheasants and has big flight pens like that with nylon netting.  Surprising owls still kill some high flying Pheasants. 
My pens aren't anywhere that big, so I replaced the nylon netting with 2 by 4 welded wire several years ago.  The leaves and show don't pileup on top of the wire as much as it did on the netting.