Author Topic: Sad day in my area  (Read 3767 times)

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
Sad day in my area
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
The local feed mill where I always had my feed ground just closed. Seems the new owners, that purchased it two years, ago ran it into the ground. Today was there last day opened. Not only did they sell feed but they were a huge supporter for the local 4-H kids.  They always gave discounts to the kids for supplies and feed. Not to mention all the market animals they purchased every year. Luckily they milled me a ton of my custom ration. Seemed weird today picking it up knowing it will be my last pick up after 10 years of doing business with them. In true fashion they treated me right, with a ton of 20% feed only costing me $380. Ended up with 42 bags when they add the 100lbs of calcium.  So less than $9.50 a 50lb bag. Now I need to find another supplier of quality feed. So here's to Cutler Dickerson Mill, Adrian MI. A fine mill and supporter of the 4-H youth  :(
S.E. Michigan

Gina Neta

• Associate
Re: Sad day in my area
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »
Hey Russ.  Sorry to hear that news!!!  Would you mind sharing your recipie?   I'm always looking for the best mix.......and with your award winning birds you are obviously on to something!   Share?

Russ Blair

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »
I would gladly share it if I knew it lol. They came up with it when I asked about it 3-4 years ago. On my receipts all it stated was 600lb corn, 400lb high energy layer mix, and 50lbs calcium. That was for 1000lb order. They would never tell me the ingredients of the "high energy layer mix". When I asked they just guaranteed it was a balanced ration for egg laying. Including all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Apparently they didn't want to let the "secret" out. I should of asked today, seeing how they were closing the doors. Unfortunately I got caught up in talking to all the guys and shaking hands. Man I am an idiot  :o, I was even there twice. Hind sight is 20/20 I guess, hopefully I have enough to ration my breeders and prospects  :-[
S.E. Michigan

Beth Curran

• Lifetime Member
  • College
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »
What a shame! We have very few hammer mills left in NC and I'm fortunate to be near one - hate to think of them ever closing. I, too, would like the recipe if you are able to get it...
Beth Curran

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
The two mills closest to me have been closed, one of them for many years now, the other just last year.   But I still have two more within about 12 - 13 miles of where I live.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Shari Nees

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
I used to make my own chicken feed but now I buy a Non GMO organic base feed from the local Amish and adjust as needed.  I find my birds do much better on a higher protein feed specially during winter.  I like it up around 28%.

One of the recipes I have used...

I made it in smaller batches... this is for 2,700+ pounds of feed

All Organic, cracked corn   535lbs,  rough chop~ the Field peas 400lbs, Oats 300lbs, Can be thrown in whole ~wheat 300lbs, Millet 300lbs, Alfalfa meal 200lbs, ORM certified Fish meal at 63% 400lbs, Stablized Flax 200lbs, Poultry Nutri Balancer 60lbs, Aragonite 12lbs.

In weekly batches, I mix in just enough vegetable oil in the feed to keep the waste down to a min. I don't want to do more than that during the hot summer months because I don't want it to go rancid because of the oil.
I know some places put the oil in the original batch, but living here in VA for 4+ years, I learned that is not a good idea.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »
Shari, what would you estimate is the average cost per hundred pounds of your mixture?
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Shari Nees

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 06:17:28 AM »
There is no way to guess.  Depends on what area of the country you live, wither you can get organic grains and what the prices are in your area.

You could find farmers that grow the grains you want, they are usually cheaper than buying from Mills.

Here, its costs about $40.00 per 100lbs.  Was a lot cheaper in the Pacific NW.   If you buy in bulk 1,000 to 2,000lbs, normally drives the price down a lot.
Since moving here and starting all over, I have no place to store chicken feed in this climate...other than inside the house.
So I just buy 200lbs at a time.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:19:39 AM by Shari Nees »

Shari Nees

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
I also like adding Black Oil Sunflower seeds when I can, makes for some pretty feathers.