Author Topic: egg color referance chart  (Read 9786 times)

Stan Alder

• Associate
egg color referance chart
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
Is there any reason the AA egg color chart can't be posted on a social media site..(Facebook)?..there are often questions about egg color and several times I have seen reference to a chart...been told that the ABC has now copyrighted it.. I didn't know that you could copyright someone else's work...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: egg color referance chart
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »
Stan,

I'm not sure what you mean by posting it.  Anytime we post an image of it the image is altered, so the colors aren't the same as the printed ones and that way no one can print it and use it.
I designed the centers for the ABC and Alliance charts and worked directly with Frank Decmar to have the printed for the club.  Frank is the guy that designed the color charts and even if the new ABC may try to lay claim to copyright of my work for the centers, only Frank can claim copyright to the entire charts.
We sell 5 charts for $5, postage included to Canada and the US.
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/ClubMerchandise.html
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:15:38 PM by John W Blehm »

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »
By posting it, I mean to put a picture of the chart on the page...it's fine if it is altered...I don't think most people would try to print and use it. Many times it comes up in discussion about 'true' Ameraucana egg color can only be blue, and people mention or post a picture of the ABC version to show that all Am eggs are not robin's egg blue...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »
Here is a link to post I made on the BYC forum, to promote our egg color charts...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/260313/ameraucana-thread-for-posting-pictures-and-discussing-our-birds/29810#post_16453794

Here is a link to another thread on this forum about them...
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/forum/index.php?topic=180.msg2738#msg2738

Please feel free to promote them too.

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »
Thanks.. what you did on the BYC forum is  the answer to what I was asking...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
Stan,

I just read on our old FB page where "she" is claiming the ABC egg color chart was done with the BAC, but again they are just making claims based on assumptions and falsehoods.  Frank Decmar, personally, created/designed the charts and has shared his work with at least 4 breed clubs that I know of.  It is outlandish that anyone would attempt to claim a copyright on someone else's work.
He let his breed club and others use his work, but certainly didn't sign off on it or relinquish any rights.
She has also claimed the new ABC owns my photos of my birds on the new ABC site, by watermarking them. 
They say and do as they want, but it doesn't change the truth.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:19:00 PM by John W Blehm »

Stan Alder

• Associate
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:37:28 PM »
'She' threatened legal action against people for posting a picture of 'their' copyrighted chart...unbelievable...

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 09:51:43 AM »
A copyright is automatic, so applying for it or including "copyright" or the symbol on the work may have benefits, but it isn't required.
Not everything is or can be copyrighted.  It has to be a "work" that involves some skill or something special.
Our club officers are not paid employees, so their works are their own...not the club's unless specifically granted.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
.been told that the ABC has now copyrighted it.. I didn't know that you could copyright someone else's work...
  They did that with Lavenders so why not a chart?

Shari Nees

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 06:13:38 AM »
I am an Artist. I  pay to have my Art Copyrighted by the US Copyright office. Because I have dealt with people stealing and selling my art over the years I am pretty knowledgeable on CP infringement. Just as an example, I do paintings of my Animals, own the animals, own the photos and still have the original paintings.

I am one of the ones that asked questions she did not like.

I also checked with the US Copyright Office and nothing is Copyrighted with that other club or any of the members.  Nor would she give me a copyright number.

Legally she Must have proof she is the original maker.  If she doesn't, she is not.

If the other person is to be believed, the British version is copy righted by the club over there, as per the Berne Convention the AM club can not copyright the base color chart here in the US. Opens them up to legal action from the original makers.

When I have gone after people for stealing and selling my Art, I have the US Copyright Office number to back me up and I am not afraid to weld it.

Been thinking about making my own egg color chart and letting anyone use it. Would copyright it so others couldn't steal it and do what is happening now with the other club, but it would be free to use for anyone.
Is nice to be able to put one of your eggs up to the chart and see where you are at.

Shari Nees

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 06:18:36 AM »
To add a personal view....

I would of used the color chart as a business card so to speak. Put the club info on it of course, let people use it, talk about it, get people interested in the breed. Many people would be curious, go check out the club, ask questions and a good chance they would join the club.
Win, Win all around.

But what the other club is doing, is driving people away, with their very aggressive behavior.

I love the Marans chickens too, but the extremely aggressive and nasty attitude most of the members were displaying, totally turned me off from the breed.

Shari Nees

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:20:29 AM »
Stan,

I just read on our old FB page where "she" is claiming the ABC egg color chart was done with the BAC, but again they are just making claims based on assumptions and falsehoods.  Frank Decmar, personally, created/designed the charts and has shared his work with at least 4 breed clubs that I know of.  It is outlandish that anyone would attempt to claim a copyright on someone else's work.
He let his breed club and others use his work, but certainly didn't sign off on it or relinquish any rights.
She has also claimed the ABC owns my photos of my birds on the ABC site, by watermarking them. 
They say and do as they want, but it doesn't change the truth.

Very interesting to know,  add that I did check with the CR Office and know there is no copyright by her or that club.......  she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 10:02:07 AM »
If the other person is to be believed, the British version is copy righted by the club over there, as per the Berne Convention the AM club can not copyright the base color chart here in the US. Opens them up to legal action from the original makers.
These are the work of Frank Decmar and not a club, so she made that up.  He said...
Oh, and it says copyright my name with a date on the front :-) ...There are nine (or were) when I did all this back in 2007/8. I think the canadian club has disbanded, and the australian crested breeds club has split into two. I haven't heard a squeak from the dutch club for about five years now either; their web site doesn't work anymore too.

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 11:46:35 AM »
To add a personal view....

I would of used the color chart as a business card so to speak. Put the club info on it of course, let people use it, talk about it, get people interested in the breed.

Yes I agree.  I think they are good sales cards & planned on doing that for shows  I attended, but John got busy and then I got busy and forgot...still next month is the Jersey Sussex Co. show, so perhaps we can get together for that one.

Brownie.

Shari Nees

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
These are the work of Frank Decmar and not a club, so she made that up.  He said...
Oh, and it says copyright my name with a date on the front :-) ...There are nine (or were) when I did all this back in 2007/8. I think the canadian club has disbanded, and the australian crested breeds club has split into two. I haven't heard a squeak from the dutch club for about five years now either; their web site doesn't work anymore too.

Very good to know.