Author Topic: Spotty Blue Egg shells  (Read 1563 times)

Linda Ferguson

• Associate
Spotty Blue Egg shells
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
Some of the blue eggs I get develop a spotty, blotchy appearance on the shell.  They're tiny clear looking spots which develop on the shell.  The egg starts out being a nice consistent blue color and then start to develop this appearance.  It seems to be more pronounced in Summer and as the egg gets older. 

Is it bacterial?  I thought condensation on the Calcium Carbonate shell after refrigeration, but it also happens when the egg is left at room temperature.  I eat the eggs and hatch the eggs but they don't look pretty.  I've seen this in shipped hatching eggs also.   It's more noticeable on blue eggs but one of the olive eggs does the same thing.  Does anyone know what this is?  If not I'll try to post a photo.  Thanks - Linda

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Spotty Blue Egg shells
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
Yes I have had it.  It looks rather like marbling; other than sorting out hens that lay spotty eggs I don't know the cure, as the only time I think it would matter is in egg contests.

Shari Nees

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »
Some times,  it from them eating to many Oyster shells,  or the feed has too much Calcium in it.

Lee G

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:13:06 AM »
I also have a few hens that lay more porous shelled eggs that turn spotty. Our (well) water is quite high in dissolved mineral content, specifically calcium and magnesium.
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden