Author Topic: Avian Influenza Update  (Read 13769 times)

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Avian Influenza Update
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »
This is another one of those reasons we talked about in earlier posts why our backyard flocks should not free range and outside runs/pens should be covered.  There may seem to be little we can do, but there are things we can do.  Meanwhile I need to get more roofing over more pens...just need some $.

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »
In Illinois we are given a set a parameters for our testing kits.  We go to classes and are tested on our knowledge. .After that our kits we put together ourselves are approved or not.  If approved  we are given our license.  We're trained to perform the test and read it too.  So that's a plus so that they can get a clean bill of health right away.  If we find a sick bird, we double ( and I have triple checked on the 1 I found) then tag it with a metal, non-removable leg band we have issued from the state, leave the premises and call the state vet hotline immediatelyWe are only certified in NPIP for Salmonella Gallinarium (Fowl Typhoid), Salmonella Enteritidis, Mycoplasmas (M.Gallisepticum, M.Synoviae and M.Meleagridis).  We are not certified for AI.  We must buy our own antigen from the state of Illinois ONLY.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:36:18 PM by Denise Baker »
Paradise Found

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
Here is the latest and greatest on Bird Flu.  It may already be somewhat dated, but it does answer many important questions.    I'm asking each of our Coulee Region Poultry Club members to read this article prior to our April 30th meeting when we will decide whether or not to proceed with our June 6th show.   

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-bird-flu-questions-and-answers-20150423-story.html
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »
Thank you Mike!  That explains a lot for me.  1 Question remains bothersome:  If the bird flu is not contagious to people, and the meat & eggs are not dangerous to people, then why are these meat birds being composted instead of feeding people?
Paradise Found

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
Thank you Mike!  That explains a lot for me.  1 Question remains bothersome:  If the bird flu is not contagious to people, and the meat & eggs are not dangerous to people, then why are these meat birds being composted instead of feeding people?

My opinion is it is about money.  Dead and dying birds cannot feed people and the producers affected by AI are only reimbursed for live birds. 

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »
Well that's just wasteful!  Why not feed the hungry, the poor, the soup kitchens!???????
Paradise Found

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Re: Avian Influenza Update/Wisconsin
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 10:13:06 PM »
Here's the USDA update for Wisconsin.  Mike is in LaCrosse, but I do not know about other members nor the county for the club meet.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:10 AM »
The show is in Trempealeau country and I am in La Crosse county, both at least 2 counties away from the nearest HPAI flock that has been discovered.
The problem for the show is that some of our regular exhibitors are from the four affected counties, and they are not allowed to take birds off their premises so can not show.     Our local club is meeting tonight to make our decision on whether or not to proceed with this year's show.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »
Waiting for the PA State Ag/USDA to decide what actions will be taken probably this week. 

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 11:05:31 PM »
The Southern Ohio Poultry Associations show in Lucasville Ohio is debating about cancelling this spring show. Apparently there is an outbreak in Indiana. I am glad i decided not to send my entry in. Sitting here in Ohio and trying not to panic.

Denise Baker

• Lifetime Member
  • Associate
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2015, 09:04:28 AM »
Apparently there is an outbreak in Indiana. I am glad i decided not to send my entry in. Sitting here in Ohio and trying not to panic.
  Jensen, if you figure out how not to panic please pass it on.  Illinois checking in here.  I'm not showing the rest of this year and have implemented such strict bio-security that my husband now asks for permission to enter the chicken yard as I must inspect what footwear he has on.  :-\
Paradise Found

Harry Shaffer

• Associate
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
Well the panic button was hit here in Pa.  Wasn't sure if they were going to close all the auctions or not this week so I took my spare hens to the auction to reduce my flock.  Well seems everyone was anticipating the auctions to close this week and the birds were selling for up to $4 per pound.  So far they have not declared the auctions to close by the State Ag but people panic and there was a bidding frenzy at this particular auction.  Buyers from several states were there running up the birds with fear this may have been the last one.   Good for the sellers and probably the buyers.

The Malcolms

• Associate
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »
We started poultry and showing 4 years ago when my son started 4H.  We have been full steam ahead since then traveling all over the country from Colorado with our Ameraucanas. Five to 9 shows per year.
Having said that... In Colorado there are no requirements for testing to enter a bird show for either in-state or out-of-state birds.  However, at EVERY bird show (county fair, state fair, poultry clubs etc...) and for you NPIP certification, they screen every entry for Avian Influenza.  This is not optional. This has been going on for at least five years.  You receive a notification a couple weeks after the show that your test results are negative and no ones thinks a thing about it.  The assumption was if your flock tested positive then it would be destroyed.  AI has so far never been found here.
Now that the virus is getting closer I finally called the State Vet's office to ask what would happen if our test was negative but another entry was positive.  My thought was surely they cannot destroy all 80+ flocks which had entries in a show!  They told me there is no policy about that yet and they have not discussed the ramifications of the upcoming show season where birds are getting together at fairs and shows...
Most of these flocks belong to kids and depopulation would be extra devastating for everyone.  Our family has decided not to show until we know what risk we are really putting our flock under.  It seems even controlling our bio security may not be enough.

Jensen Pierson

• Associate
    • www.kaljenfarm.com
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2015, 10:03:21 AM »
Denise I wish I knew how not to panic. I think I may be *locking down* my farm until stuff blows over and we are given the all clear. I don't think I will be going to any shows as well. I have had some sickness in my flock the other year and that really set me back. A few ribbons isn't worth the life of my flock. I read somewhere on a homesteading blog about hanging old CD's in the barn to keep out wild birds. I am going to put that up asap cause i think there is a starling nest in the barn O.o. hurray. Also am I correct in that it daily is spread by wild waterfowl? I just bought day old ducklings 4 weeks ago and they are housed next to my chickens. I am wondering now if i need to put them at the other end of the property asap. They are just meat ducks and hybrid layers. This is all just so depressing and scary. I don't know what I would do if i lost my flock. It's not like any of us can just go out and buy more. Prayers for everyone this is resolved quickly and no one here is affected directly.

John W Blehm

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
On the bright side...well maybe there is no bright side to this, but doom and gloom has been around forever and will continue in one form or another.  Decades ago I had to depopulate my entire flock and the place was quarantined by the state, after my show birds brought home LTI from a show.  I vaccinated for that and other diseases for many years after that.  I even vaccinated chicks for Marek's disease for a couple years.  I'm at the point that I don't vaccinate at all and feel Pullorum testing is pretty much a waste of time and money, yet required.  If one of those don't get your birds some form of MG will.     
They say AI kills about 60% of the chickens that get it.  Maybe breed from the survivors instead of destroying them.  I know we aren't animals, but we humans live with many diseases and viruses.
Now the disclaimer...I'm not suggesting you don't vaccinate your birds if you want to and your biosecurity should be as strong as you want.