Author Topic: Rolling matings  (Read 1579 times)

Suki

• Ameraucana Guru
Rolling matings
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:56:41 AM »
from Christine Heinrich's book...she mentions a few types of mating problems and says that the rolling one requires the least record-keeping.  Anyone here used it?

This breeding system doesn’t require any records at all, but it’s to your advantage to keep track of the year
the birds are hatched, so that you know their age. You can begin rolling matings with a trio in a single
pen the first year. Future years will require additional  pens as you separate the best birds for mating.
After the first year of raising chicks, select the  best birds and breed them back to the best that you
started with. The best pullets go into the breeding pen with the best cock and the best cockerels go
into pens with the best hens from the previous year. At the end of the season, select the best of the
old birds and the best of the young birds. They will be your breeding stock for the coming year. That’s
what keeps the system rolling.

Mike Gilbert

• Lifetime Member
  • Ameraucana Guru
Re: Rolling matings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
Some of us probably do that without really thinking about what kind of system we are using.    I know I like to use best cockerels over best hens and older males with pullets.   But it depends on what I have available and what I'm attempting to accomplish.
Mike Gilbert
1st John 5:11-13